Author Topic: Alexander Smith  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Scotty44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Smith
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 05 03:25 BST (UK) »
Roy,
I'm very interested in your search for Alexander and Jane (Noble) Smith.  I found their marriage record at familysearch.org:

ALEXANDER SMITH
Spouse:  JANE NOBLE
Marriage:  28 MAY 1842   Carrington, Midlothian, Scotland
Source:  Parish registers, 1653-1858  Church of Scotland, Parish Church of Carrington

I also found their family listed as the following:

Alexander Smith
Birth: 1823 Of, Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland
Wife
Jane Noble
Birth: 1821 Of, Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland

Children

1. Robert Smith
Male    
Birth: 17 JAN 1844 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland

2. James Smith
Male    
Birth: 26 FEB 1846 Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland

3. Emily Smith
Female    
Birth: 19 APR 1848 Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland

4. Christina Hannah Smith
Female    
Birth: 18 MAY 1850 Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland

5. George Smith
Male    
Birth: 31 MAY 1852 Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland

My husband's great grandfather, George Smith, was born in Scotland May 31, 1852, so I thought this might be his family.  He came to America in 1887 or 1888, according to census information, but I haven't found his immigration record yet.  He married Catherine Barr, who I believe came from the same area of Scotland, but I don't know anything about her family either.  George and Catherine's first child was named Alexander, which also seems to fit.  If you have found any more information on this family, I would love to hear from you.

Simpson, Blair, Smith, Barr

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scotty44

Gosh time flies, it has been some time since you and I made contact regarding the SMITH/NOBLE connection.  Are you still active?
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scotty44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,
Yes, I'm still here.  Funny you should pop up right now.  I've been emailing a lady from Scotland about our Smith family.  How are you?  What's new?

Judy
Simpson, Blair, Smith, Barr

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Judy
Making contact right now is purely a courteous call and making sure my contacts list is up to date.  Time waits for no one and that has become plainly obvious in the last few years.  A number of my relations have died and several of my Scottish contacts have passed while others appear to have gone off grid and no longer contactable.
Over a period of ten-years Alasdair Anderson, Chairman of Gorebridge & District Society, was a valid source of information on the Smith family.  He was the driving force behind the society but sadly, since he passed away its membership fell and I have heard recently, the society no longer exist. 
I have been sharing information on Alexander Smith & Isabel Chisolm with a Donna Williams from Australia who is a direct descendent of James Riddle who married Janet Smith, daughter of Alexander & Isabel and sister to William who married Isabella MacKay.  An email I sent to Donna recently bounced back and all attempts to locate her failed.
You mentioned in one of your emails you were still searching for the immigration records of your husband’s great grandfather, George Smith.  Have you managed to locate them yet?
Since we have been in lockdown from this terrible pandemic, I have kept busy sorting out the mountain of data I have gathered over the years on family and local history.  I've also made a start writing up the story of my SMITH family, making it ready to hand over to my French granddaughter Clara, she loves history and I can see her being the one to carry on after my days.    As I work, my way through the data I am also trying to tie up any loose ends.  I would appreciate it if you could look at the chart (sent to your email address) on the burials in Lair A66 and at the assumptions, I have made at the end.

Regards, Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk