Author Topic: Murder in mind  (Read 5079 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in mind
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 August 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
On Williams attestation papers he was living in Green Street Glasgow He joined in Lincoln in 1919. Strange thing to join up at age 40 and 334 days, when the first world war was over?? Leaving his wife in Glasgow. Or was he demobbed and rejoined, ok found it, the records are not in time order. He signed up 13-1-1915 in the Artillery Rgt in Glasgow.He was attached for duty with a sheet iron works in Lincoln and then employed in munitions. When he was discharged- 15-4-1920 he gave his address as 8, Steep hill, Lincoln.

Aah- he had stoppages on his pay to support a child 26-8-1919. The money went to Mrs Mary Elizabeth Smalley of 8, Steep Hill Lincoln. The child was born 10-10-1918 and the payment was to be made from then until the child reached 16 or died.
29-11-1918 he sends a letter giving his present address Steep hill and home address 168 Graeme Street Glasgow.
Oh I WISH my lot had such wonderful military records  :-\
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
Larkspur  :)

I should have got in touch before  :) ;)

took Me ages to find all that information,  but please do not stop  8)

I am waiting for you with your hound dog detective skills to find James Dickie after 1928 ish

and prove Me wrong ..... that He is buried under the patio  :-X :-X
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilleen,

I take it you have ruled out the James Dickie with year of birth circa 1903 who makes several sea voyages - 1927, 1930.1932 between Glasgow, USA and Chile ?
Where exactly was James born? And do you know where and when did his parents died?
Sorry for the questions but I just wonder if they were already deceased by the time of James's vanishing act.

Looby

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Ask away  :)

I am the one with the mystery  ::)

Father William Dickie died in Lincoln in 1944 aged 66.

his Mother died in 1922 , aged 38, Dennistoun, Glasgow .

1927 seems rather early for him to be roaming abroad .

I have him on the electorial registers in 1927 and 1928 and in the middle of those his first child a

daughter was born  ???

James Dickie  birth , 19th July 1903, came from his Father William Dickie's recruitment papers in 1915.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 August 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
Yes perhaps that James is a different James  :-\ 

If his father was still alive in Lincoln till 1944 , wouldn't he wonder about his disappearing son?
I'm Scottish Eilleen , so know more about Scottish records than English ones, but would there be an informant on William's death cert ? Often in families the oldest son would register a parents death.

I have an old friend with a vanished great-grandfather of approx. same era - mid 1920s . He disappeared from Glasgow. Great-grandma left with 3 kids- no money- no contact , struggled to raise family alone, working 2 cleaning jobs and taking in washing to support them. Family never knew what had happened to missing man. My friend took up Family History a few years and traced the errant G-grandfather to USA. He'd kept his name, changed his marital status to single and sailed to NY. He married (bigamously ) and had a second family.

There is a chance your man could have done something similar, especially if his marriage was rocky.

Looby :)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 August 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
Looby  :)

I agree , He could have just cleared off,

also I am aware that the 2nd world war may have claimed him  ::)

I have just been researching a gentleman on my husbands line,

and He went over to Australia , started a new family , and only came back over 30 years later

when He was dying, in fact He died on board ship before He arrived  ::) ::)

"I love dealing with the dead " :o  well that's what everyone who know's Me say's  :) :)

work tomorrow so bed time for Me , thank you so much  :-*

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 August 16 21:57 BST (UK) »
If his father was still alive in Lincoln till 1944 ,

Abode at time of death was still Steep Hill. A Mary Elizabeth SMALLEY of Baggholme Rd died in 1958 aged 76.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 August 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilleen,

I take it you have ruled out the James Dickie with year of birth circa 1903 who makes several sea voyages - 1927, 1930.1932 between Glasgow, USA and Chile ?
Where exactly was James born? And do you know where and when did his parents died?
Sorry for the questions but I just wonder if they were already deceased by the time of James's vanishing act.

Looby

I don't believe that this is the correct chap,he goes to the USA and Peru many times in the mid 1920's and 30's,he is an engineer,with a Glasgow address.

I wonder if the one above is the one who married in California,and on his death gives a birth date as 19th August 1904?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 August 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the James dickie who dies in Glasgow, 1955? Just wondered with the family connection if he went back there?