Author Topic: Margaret Mullins(Mullen)  (Read 3508 times)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret Mullins(Mullen)
« on: Monday 01 August 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Looking for a little help with a part of my family tree that has been a dead end for a long time.
Never had any luck with this particular part of my family history and was wondering if anyone more familar with Australian records/resources might be willing to take a look and help.

Have very little re. the person I am looking for,basically a name ,approximate age and a vague location.Not much to go on I know !!!!

Bit that I do know;
Margaret Mullins(Mullen) left Ireland for Australia and as far as I am aware never returned.She was a sister to my great grandmother who was born approx 1852 going by her marriage date(1872) age given on 1901 Irish census (49) and 1911 Irish census (66) and death cert from 1920 (68?)
According to family lore Margaret emigrated at a young age,lived in Brisbane and never married.Have a photo here that she sent back to Ireland to her nieces (not dated) and according to the stamp was taken at Ada Driver Studio Brisbane.
It shows a middle aged woman of about 60 or so.Going by her sisters approx. age she could have been born anywhere from 1840 to 1860 or so.

Problem is that I have no idea where in Ireland the sisters came from or their parents names.My great gran  married in Carlow, Ireland but her marriage entry gives no address or parents names and all children she had baptised include no Mullen/Mullins as a sponsor.
Only remotely plausible record hits come for a Mullins family in Waterford Ireland but these are of no great help to be honest.

Basically hoping someone might have a look at Australian records or maybe immigration records as I have had no luck here in Ireland.
Have a couple of threads on here in the Ireland forum previously regarding the same family;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641070.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=654630.msg5008545#msg5008545
Thanks for looking and if this is in the wrong section then please can mods. move.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Mullins(Mullen)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
Just a very quick search:

There are 3 Margaret Mullen into QLD, but only the two other are possibly part of a family:

MULLEN  Margaret 28 Dorunda 10 Mar 1885 74 18482 Z1962 M1701

Then there a quite a few of these: MULLEN Miss Matron with ages 35 and over.

Only 2 QLD deaths up to 1950:

1889   B22533 Margaret Mullen Hugh Mullen Margaret - ** born Ireland aged 62 years - too old

1900   C1231 Margaret Mary Mullins father Michael Mullins mother Hanorah Ryan   

1929   C230   Margaret Mary Mullins father Patrick Mullins mother Jane Agnes Gregory

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 16 16:27 BST (UK) »

Only 2 QLD deaths up to 1950:

1889   B22533 Margaret Mullen Hugh Mullen Margaret - ** born Ireland aged 62 years - too old

1900   C1231 Margaret Mary Mullins father Michael Mullins mother Hanorah Ryan   

1929   C230   Margaret Mary Mullins father Patrick Mullins mother Jane Agnes Gregory

The one in 1929 was an infant

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/40653937

The second one might be too early?

The earliest mention I can see of the Ada Driver Studio is 1905.

Debra  :)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
There's someone on the Net claiming they have a photo by said photographer 'pre 1900'.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 16 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Bit frustrating when I am unable to even pin down what part of Ireland the Mullins(Mullen) family came from.
No hints with her sisters marriage and have had no luck trawling through Irish baptismal records.

Margaret's nephews and nieces were named ;John,Patrick,James,Michael,Timothy,Mary,Margaret,Anne,Ellen in birth order so no help there as these are very common names of the time.John ,Timothy ,Mary and Anne being named (I assume) after people in their fathers family and Margaret after her elusive aunt and Ellen after her equally elusive mother.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
....her marriage entry gives no address or parents names

This is very unusual for a post civil reg marriage.  Is the column headed "Father's name and surname" blank for both the groom and bride or just the bride?

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
The second death listed was also an infant - there is a birth reg in 1900 with the same parents named.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 00:16 BST (UK) »
This editorial about the Ada Driver Photographic Studio suggests a more expensive and superior style of product. An interesting choice for a lady living alone

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/rendition/nla.news-article19396492.3.html?followup=4a3e14741ffe41487b27d95c173033d0

There is a woman named Margaret MULLEN on the Electoral Roll in North Brisbane and Leichardt district from 1905 to about 1929.

She is not listed with anyone else of the surname at any of her addresses and is noted as performing Domestic Duties.

From 1909 onwards  her address is at hotels

1905 MULLEN, Margaret
119 (or 449)? Wickham Tce, North Brisbane. EDIT 449 is correct as verified by a later search
DD

Spotsman Hotel, Leichardt,
DD

City View Hotel Nth Brisbane
DD

As Above

Sportsman Hotel, Leichardt
DD

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 00:35 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this site, maybe you might find something

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx

Cass