Author Topic: Peter Storry in Pennsylvania?  (Read 1772 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Peter Storry in Pennsylvania?
« on: Tuesday 02 August 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
Peter Storry (or variants) of Badallan was born in the parish of Shotts, County of Lanark, Scotland on 28 March 1727, son of Andrew Storry of Wester Braco and Paperthills and his wife Mary Clark. In Scottish documents dated between 1750 and 1766 he is described as Peter Storry of Wester Braco and Wester Moffat, and of Newcastle on Delaware, Pennsylvania, physician.

Has anyone come across Peter Storry in Pennsylvania? I'd be interested in any information about Peter and/or his descendants, if any.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Storry in Pennsylvania?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 01:22 BST (UK) »
I haven't found anything yet.

You are trying to find out what happened to him after 1766, correct?  (Rather than trying to find out what he was doing in America during 1750-1766.)   ;)

Were there any first names that were handed down in the family, please?  Just looking for little clues.  Also, what occupations might his father and any siblings have had, please?  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Not much information included, but a possibility?

1798 US Direct Tax Lists, Pennsylvania
August 20, 1805
Taxes received by John Smith, Marshal
"Out Past? Eastern Northern Liberties"
Peter Story - 414 - 53    95
 [95 is the amount of money.  Not sure what the other figures are.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 01:50 BST (UK) »
Tax & Exoneration, PA 1768-1801
Quemahoning, Bedford, PA - 1785?
Nonresidenters(?)
Peter Storey     18:4

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies, Lisa.

I am interested in anything about him after he arrived in North America.

The less common names that were in the Stor(r)i/e(y) family are Andrew and Claud(e), sometimes spelled Glaud(e) and frequently mistranscribed as Cland(e) or Gland(e). Of the common ones, Alexander and James were rare before 1800, but there were some Johns and Williams. The women's names included Mary, Margaret, Bethea and Katherine, and no known daughters were named Jean/Jane, Isabella or Agnes.

The family were small landowners and farmers, though some of them became physicians or surgeons.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information.  Perhaps it is due to the early time frame, but I'm just not finding anything yet.   :-\

As it is late here, I better continue tomorrow (after work). 

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
One for around the time period

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V26Q-NP4

Pennsylvania Marriages
Name    Peter Story
Spouse's Name    Elizabeth Stone
Event Date    21 Apr 1761
Event Place    Christ Church, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Willsy.

I have noted that marriage, but in the absence of any other information I have not been confident enough to say that this is 'my' Peter Stor(r)i/e(y).

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Am with you there!
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire