Author Topic: The RootsChat "1901 Leftovers" Site  (Read 72179 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The RootsChat "1901 Leftovers" Site
« on: Friday 22 July 05 20:38 BST (UK) »
In 2002 Trudy Weaver had an idea:

Once you have downloaded a page from the 1901 Census, and transcribed 'your' family, you are invariably left with other families on the page, which may very well be of use to someone else.
So why not collect the various "leftovers" and present them on a web site, where others can look at them."

The idea took off, and the result was

The 1901 Leftovers Site

Many transcribers have donated their "leftovers" to this site, resulting in a database of over 55,000 entries.

In 2004 Trudy Weaver anounced that she wouldn't be able to maintain her popular "1901 Census Leftovers" site any more.

Trystan and Sarah, from RootsChat, didn't want these genealogical resources to be lost, so they approached Trudy and suggested that RootsChat take over the site.

The site has now been re-vamped by RootsChat, but the idea remains the same:

If you have an image of a 1901 census page, from which you are transcribing your ancestors,
why not transcribe the whole page and donate it to

The RootsChat 1901 Leftovers Site
[/url]

This board is for all transcibers and contributors to the 1901 Leftovers site.

Update 2012:
Due to pressures of other commitments, we are not accepting new submissions for the "1901 Leftovers" site at the moment.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The RootsChat "1901 Leftovers" Site
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
Following a suggestion from Aussie Candy,  you can now do a "Person Search"
using the two wildcards '_' (one character) and '*' (several characters)

see the Search form for more details:
http://1901census.rootschat.com/gp_person.php

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 November 05 14:51 GMT (UK) »
RootsChat took over the 1901 Leftovers site in October 2004. 

In August 2005, we opened the new "1901 Leftovers" board on RootsChat: no trumpets, no bells or whistles, no fanfares - we simply announced that the site has been re-opened with a RootsChat "Look and Feel"

Since then, people have been submitting new entries and today, I am very pleased to announce,
that 602 new entries have now been added to the database !!

8th. October 2004:  57943 entries

1th. November 2005: 58541 entries.

This update represents just 21 of the the over 70 pages submitted since August 2005.

I shall be adding the rest as fast as time permits !!

Many thanks to everybody who has submitted census transcriptions for the "1901 Leftovers"  site, and thanks also, to those who have helped out, with deciphering and suggestions.

Keep 'em coming !!!   :) :) :) :)

Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 05 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I won't be posting here every time I update the "1901 Leftovers" database, but I thought this is worth a mention:

I have now "caught up" and all the submissions (apart from 3 pages sent back for correction) are now in the the database !!

That is 76 pages with 2,180 lines of 1901 census data !!

Database last updated: 2005-11-26 13:23:05 / Number of Records: 60123

I am neither promising nor offering this as a service ....

....  but the latest submissions have been added on the same day as I received them !!

Thanks again, to everybody who has contributed  :) :) :)

Bob

Offline Shannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • family wedding in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

Unfortunatley Im Dyslexic and it takes all my time to understand what is written when I know what im reading. :(

But I am more than willing to forward copies of my census copies to anyone willing to transcribe them.
 ???
Shannie
Ackley - Allen/ Allan - Begley - Boyd - Cronan/Cronin - Cosgrove- Dobson - Fitzgibbons - Finigan - Godfrey - Grainger - Henderson - O'Brien - Parry - Pendred - Roach - Smith - Tasker - Tempest - Quantrell - Wardle  - McVeath

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I received your census is it not just 1901 that are to be transcribed
Hiya

Unfortunatley Im Dyslexic and it takes all my time to understand what is written when I know what im reading. :(

But I am more than willing to forward copies of my census copies to anyone willing to transcribe them.
 ???
Shannie
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline Shannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • family wedding in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh I sorry,

lol tell ya I need my head reading
Ackley - Allen/ Allan - Begley - Boyd - Cronan/Cronin - Cosgrove- Dobson - Fitzgibbons - Finigan - Godfrey - Grainger - Henderson - O'Brien - Parry - Pendred - Roach - Smith - Tasker - Tempest - Quantrell - Wardle  - McVeath

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 06 15:46 GMT (UK) »
If anyone else wants any 1901 leftovers to be transcribed I will be happy to do them. My way of saying thank you for everybody that has helped me.
Send me a PM if anyone is interested
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Your submissions will be checked for typos and correct formatting by one of our Checkers
(If you wish to help out, why not become a Checker !
More on this later, when we have finished setting up some of the details !)

Bob
How do you become a Checker