Author Topic: Parents/grandparents of Martha Hicking or Hickling of Littleover, m Richard Lee.  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents/grandparents of Martha Hicking or Hickling of Littleover, m Richard Lee.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Well, I've now sighted Martha's cert and it seems we are on exactly the right track - her father is given as George Hicking (farmer) and mother as Mary nee Watson, her birth having taken place at Ripley, Derbyshire, England.

Thanks very much all - considering the lack of names to be going on with, I'm impressed at how much we've worked out between us :)

And as a footnote, I have tracked Martha's missing sister. In 1879 she married a former English soldier who became a gold miner on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. They lived around Greymouth and had a daughter. Mary Ann's husband Allen Haig had been serving in India (he was a veteran of the Indian Mutiny) when Governor Grey called for reinforcements to deal with  an uprising by the native Maori tribes of New Zealand and he stayed on after the 68th (light Durham Infantry) were to be sent home in 1866. By coincidence Allen Haig was deployed to Tauranga, New Zealand, and took part in the Battle of Gate Pa.
http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/war-in-tauranga/gate-pa

Later my grandmother (Martha's granddaughter) lived there with her own family and my father and his sisters grew up running around the redoubt and trenches of Gate Pa, relics of that former battle. The effectiveness of the Maori trenches as a defense mechanism was noted by the British Army and were probably at least partly responsible for those infamous trenches we associate with the horrors of WWI.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parents/grandparents of Martha Hicking or Hickling of Littleover, m Richard Lee.
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 23:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt in..I have the PR's for Heanor St. Lawrence..I haven't been following this thread..but if I can add anything to the excellent work of Spendlove..just ask.
Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Derbyderek - Just curious because I haven't seen her place of baptism mentioned, but wonder if there is a record of Martha Hicking being baptised at St Lawrence? Date of baptism is believed to have been 27 March 1842, birth at Ripley, Derbyshire.  Parents were George Hicking  (farmer) and Mary (nee Watson).

I notice that Thomas and Stephen Watson (presumably working in partnership) are mentioned as being freeholders of Codnor & Loscoe in the parish of Heanor in 1821 (History & Gazetteer of the County of Derby, Vol 2, Part 1) and wonder if they are connected to Martha's mother Mary (nee Watson), whose parents I believe to have been Thomas & Hannah (nee Baker) Watson. Mary was born at Loscoe and baptised at St Lawrence Heanor on 2 September 1807, and it may be significant that she named her youngest son Stephen.

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Since I last posted here I have pretty much managed to sort out all the members on this side of my family,  but have one birth/baptism date which I have been completely unable to confirm, and wondered if one of the helpful researchers here might be able to help.

The person concerned is Mary Ann Hicking, daughter of George Hicking and his wife Mary nee Watson. I know from census records that Mary Ann was born around 1845 at Ripley, Derbyshire - her father had a farm at Greenwich, Ripley, at that time - but can't find a record which provides details of her birth and/or baptism date/s.

Many thanks,
Anne.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

? Is this a start . . . . .
HICKLING, MARY         (mmn WATSON)
GRO Reference: 1842  S Quarter in BASFORD UNION NOTTINGHAM DERBY  Volume 15  Page 396

and . . . . .

HICKLING, JANE         (mmn WATSON)
GRO Reference: 1844  D Quarter in BASFORD  Volume 15  Page 403

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 January 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, Ray. I appreciate your response, but I feel that the birth date for this Mary is a bit too early. Going by the census records my Mary Ann Hicking's birth date is extrapolated variously as being abt 1845 or abt 1846. In  1874 when listed as a passenger on the immigrant ship 'Cartvale", her age is given as 28yrs which could possibly make it closer to 1846. Birth place in census records for 1851, 1861 & 1871 is recorded invariably as Ripley, Derbyshire, and as her father had a farm at Greenwich, Ripley, that does seems likely.

Cheers,
Anne.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 January 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

? Is this a start . . . . .
HICKLING, MARY         (mmn WATSON)
GRO Reference: 1842  S Quarter in BASFORD UNION NOTTINGHAM DERBY  Volume 15  Page 396

and . . . . .

HICKLING, JANE         (mmn WATSON)
GRO Reference: 1844  D Quarter in BASFORD  Volume 15  Page 403

If Mary Ann was b. Ripley her birth would be registered in Belper district - if it was registered??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk