Author Topic: Parents/grandparents of Martha Hicking or Hickling of Littleover, m Richard Lee.  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents/grandparents of Martha Hicking or Hickling of Littleover, m Richard Lee.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for these tips - all very helpful. A hindrance for me has been the lack of known names, though i have recently ordered my great-grandmother's birth certificate in the hope of identifying her mother's maiden name. I live in New Zealand and do have a subscription to Ancestry.com.au, but  don't appear to be able to access the number of provincial records that a user of Ancestry UK can

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parents/grandparents of Martha Hicking or Hickling of Littleover, m Richard Lee.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation of the name of the ship Richard & Martha Lee travelled out on. Family notes have it as "Carte Vale", but spotting the correct name "Cartvale" as per Richard's obit. has enabled me to find the family on the passenger list, where Richard is described as a "hammerman". I take this to be some sort of smith or metal worker:

1874 "Cartvale"  London to Wellington, NZ , Passenger manifest.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourstuff/Cartvale.htm

Richard Lee (31), wife Martha (30), children Henry (6), Annie (5) & George (3)

This indicates that they are definitely the same couple in the 1871 census as per jomcd967

One interesting family story has it that Martha's sister ((again, no name given) travelled out to NZ with Martha & Richerd, but got lost on arrival amid the confusion of unloading passengers and cargo and that Richard & Martha eventually had to give up the hunt for her and move on. How frightening for a single woman to find herself all alone in a strange country! I would have thought this story ridiculous, but for the fact that I have found at least one other case of a family who also "lost" a sister on arrival in NZ! It does perhaps beg the question of whether these surplus sisters may have wanted to get lost :)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 August 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
The passenger list has a Mary Ann Hicking, 28 as a single woman. This would match with the census for Martha with her parents in 1861 that I gave earlier.

Buying Martha's birth certificate would confirm her mothers maiden name and help you go back further. I also realised that I didn't put father Georges age on the census records, he is shown as born circa 1785 in Codner and mother Mary circa 1808 in Ripley. The age difference matches with your family story of George being a long time friend of the parents.

With Martha's mothers maiden name I would assume that there should be something relating to the family in newspapers if they were very well off.

Please let us know what the birth certificate says,

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 August 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Correction re census for George Hicking born 1785 Codnor
In both the the 1851 and 1861 census his occupation is Farmer he is living Greenwich , Ripley Derbyshire.

Previously posted as living in Belper 1851, and being a farm labourer in 1861,

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 August 16 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
In both the the 1851 and 1861 census his occupation is Farmer he is living Greenwich , Ripley Derbyshire.

Spendlove

He is an Ag Lab in 1861 Greenwich - wife Mary and children Martha 18, Mary A  16 and Stephen 14
RG9/2511 f87 p38

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 August 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Is this Georges death  :-\
June qtr 1869 
George Hicking age 87   
Belper reg district    7b   312

Probate - George Hicking - Effects under £20
30 July 1869
The will -George Hicking late of Ripley, Derbyshire -Yeoman - proved by the oath of Henry Hicking of 156 Tottenham Court Road, Middlesex -Drapers assistant -son one of the executors

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 August 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi rosie99

You are correct he is ag lab in 1861 census .

I have found, what I think is the first mention of Littleover:-

1891 Census Heanor , Mary is living with her married daughter Elizabeth, who's daughter Edith CC Horobin is born 1875 Littleover .

Elizabeth Hicking = William Horobin Dec q 1874 Basford  7b. 249

Spendlove

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 August 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all this- you are amazing! I did note the large age gap between George and his wife Mary, which as you say seems to fit with the family legend of the family friend marrying the woman he had known from when she was a small girl. Assuming that his wife was Mary Watson (and that 1833 marriage does seem likely given the children's birthdates), I have found a Mary Watson bapt. at St Lawrence Anglican Church, Heanor, Derbyshire, on 2 September 1807, which could fit. Her parents are given as Thomas & Hannah Watson. An Anglican baptism, though, probably puts paid to my guess that her parents' group of philanthropic friends might have in fact have been Friends (Quakers) .

Another snippet from the family history says that my grandmother's grandmother, Martha, nearly didn't make it off the ship. She gave birth on board the ""Cartvale" and had such a difficult delivery  (the baby was lost) that she was believed to have died as a result. Preparations for a burial at sea were under way when her husband Richard noticed one of her hands give a tiny twitch. She was revived and went on have another five children in New Zealand!

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 August 16 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Spendlove

Find my Past shows the 1851 address as Greenwich BELPER where George is recorded as a farmer and 1861 he is shown as an agricultural labourer.

This is what I posted previously.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.