Author Topic: tracking down relatives of Muirkirk warhero  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
tracking down relatives of Muirkirk warhero
« on: Friday 05 August 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
Dear members,

A few months ago I got in touch with the relatives of a Pilot named Sgt Donald Valentine JORDAN. The aircraft a 619 sqdn Lancaster bomber was shotdown homebound over Asten in the S.E. part of The Netherlands while bombing a target at Krefeld. Together( the relative of Sgt Jordan) we exchanged information and he would like to share his information with other crew relatives. Maybe in the nearby future we would like to erect a memorial close to where the accident occured. On board this Lancaster was the Navigator Flying Officer William (Bill) McCall Girdwood who was the son of James and Helen McCall Girdwood,of 4 Main Street,Muirkirk,Ayrshire,Scotland. William Girdwood was only 23 years old when he died. I know the rules for tracking down or publishing addresses of living relatives on this website but we hope that someone are avilable to help us out and if they have an address they would like to send me a PM.

Thank you so much for you help,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: tracking down relatives of Muirkirk warhero
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian ,

Some information which may help , Scotlandspeople website has a marriage for a James Girdwood / Nellie(pet name for Helen?) McCall 1911 Muirkirk , Ayr(shire).

Also a death Helen Girdwood(other surname McCall) 1963 Muirkirk , Ayr(shire) , born c1891.

ev

Added -
Death for a John Girdwood(mother's maiden name McCall) 1995 Muirkirk Ayr(shire) , born c1912.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

If you are a Facebooker  :) , Muirkirk has a Community page which states -
This group is for people of Muirkirk, past and present, to share memories and pictures.

Perhaps it would be worth asking to join the group page and posting your request on there. It has nearly 1000 members , so perhaps someone may be able to help. If you are not on Facebook let me know .
Good luck

Looby :)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Ev for your kind help. The info you have send was very usefull I will let you know the outcome of my research.

Many Thanks Looby,  I am not a facebooker but will see if Muirkirk have a Historical group who can help us out as well.

Regards,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
No problem Adrian.
If you have no joy with a historical society the Facebook group would be a good bet as it is active group with recent posts and photos on the page.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
You could also try and put something in the Ayrshire Post for older people and will cover surrounding areas too.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
I would need to look at the marriage for James Girdwood and Helen McCall but I think I know who James could be.
Possibly the son of John Girdwood and Alison Coulthard.?
He is in the home of his maternal grandmother in Muirkirk with his mother and 3 brothers.
Two of those brothers ( Thomas and William)  emigrated to the US and Thomas married my relative Los Angeles.

1901 Muirkirk:
Janet M G Culthert   72 (  should read Coulthart)
Allexen Girdwood   36 (  should read Allison)
***Jams Girdwood   16
William Girdwood   15
John Girdwood   14
Thomas Girdwood   12

Edit:
Thomas and my relative had 2 children ( possibly first cousins of deceased airman?)
their son died in childhood and daughter born in LA 1927 was married 3 times ( 1948/1951/1966)
So far, I haven't located any children from any of her marriages

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi PharmaT and Anne_p,

PharmaT; Thanks for your help and i will contact the Ayrshire post to put an appeal in to their
                   newspaper.
    Anne_p ; Thank you very much for your information. I realy don't know how to verify this ,I hope 
                  you are at the good end.

Thanks,
Adrian     

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again Adrian,

Although pharma's suggestion of contacting Ayrshire Post is a good one , I'm not so sure that particular newspaper covers Muirkirk which is in East Ayrshire. It certainly is not a paper  widely read in my East Ayrshire village. I would suggest you also contact Cumnock Chronicle too which may be more of a local newspaper to Muirkirk.

PS. I'm still hoping a Muirkirk resident picks up your request .