Author Topic: tracking down Southsea,Hampshire warhero Sgt William James Parkes  (Read 954 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
tracking down Southsea,Hampshire warhero Sgt William James Parkes
« on: Friday 05 August 16 14:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Members,

A few months ago I got in touch with the relative of a pilot named Sgt D.M.V.Jordan who was the pilot of a 619 sqdn Lancaster which was shotdown over the S.E. part of Holland on the 22nd June 1944 homebound taking all the lives of the seven young crew. Together(relative of Jordan) and me exchanged much info but we would like to get in touch with all the other relatives. Later on we will erect a memorial near the site. On board this Lancaster was  Airgunner Sgt William James Parkes who's Mother Elizabeth Florence Parkes of 171 Hyde Park Road, Southsea,Hampshire. The only thing he found out that Elizabeth Florence Parkes death registered December 1982 at "New Forest" registration district. Date of Birth given as 28th October 1899. Maybe she left a will and if so ,who the excutors/beneficiaries were. Can anyone help us with this matter???  I know about the rules to publish an address for still living people but hopefully there is some one who can PM me with details.

Thank you very much,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: tracking down Southsea,Hampshire warhero Sgt William James Parkes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:39 BST (UK) »
You can search for a will yourself, the search is free.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
In case any one is searching for marriage etc for his mother she was Florence Elizabeth Parkes, not Elizabeth Florence.

I can't see a will I'm afraid.

ADDED: Sorry there is a will - I looked before I realised the names were the wrong way round. She died at 7, Hartley Wk, Dibden, Purlieu, Southampton on 16th Dec 1982. No mention of executers, so I'm afraid to find out more you would need to apply for the will, it costs £10. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of contacting the Portsmouth News? The man who runs the Nostalgia page may be willing to help. You can find it online.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 16 02:52 BST (UK) »
I don't think the Florence Elizabeth Parkes b.28/10/1899, d.1982 New Forest, Hampshire is the mother of Sgt. William James Parkes.

This particular lady was named Florence Elizabeth Unwin and married a Walter Parkes in 1924 at Camberwell.   The 2 of them lived in Lewisham/Camberwell London until Walter's death at Lewisham in 1974.   There is no other corresponding death entry for a lady of this name and birthdate so one can only assume she moved to Hampshire after husband Walter's death.

According to CWGC William James Parkes was aged 24 at his death on 22/6/1943 (not 1944) making his birth 1918/1919.   Is there any way of checking his age when he died?   I've found a scenario that seems to fit BUT this would make him 20 (possibly just 21) at his death!!

A William Edward G. Parkes (b.1888) married Florence E. Mansell, widow - nee Knight - Sept.1920 Portsmouth, Hampshire.   Children:

Joan b.19/9/1920 - married in Portsmouth and died in 1974
William J. - birth Sept.qtr.1922 Portsmouth
Peggy P. b.Sept.qtr.1924 - believe she married in Southwark, London in 1947 and died there 1955.
Albert James b.7/1/1926 Portsmouth, d.2003 Portsmouth
plus one further son born in June qtr.1932 - possibily died in Portsmouth in 2001 but no 2nd initial in name so can't be sure it's the same person.

When the war began the family lived at 29 Hampton Road, Portsmouth - William E G Parkes died Dec.qtr.1943 and I can't help wondering if the shock of losing a son in Sept.1943 could have been a cause (or is my imagination just working overtime).   By the time the CWGC list was compiled Florence Elizabeth Parkes was a widow and may well have moved to Hyde Park Road as a result of this or indeed because of the bombing.

Before I delve any further what do others think?  The William J. Parkes born in 1922 in the right area (mother named Florence Elizabeth) - there is no further trace of this person in UK BMD records as far as I can see which is why I question whether the wrong age has been recorded on the CWGC website and that the William James Parkes who died 22/6/1943 is the one born in 1922.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
That looks good to me Annette, I couldn't find a birth as I was subtracting 24 from the date of his death which was given as 22 June 1944, and as you say should be 1943 according to the CWGC.

I found the Parkes/ Unwin marriage and dismissed it as there was no William born to this couple. The fact you have found them in Camberwell in the 70s I think rules her out.

I presume that William was already in the Air Force by Sept 1939 and doesn't appear in the register? If so, as it seems he is the one born 1922, that means he was wasn't quite 17 when he join up. Could he have lied about his age, would they take his word as I believe they did in 1914 or would he have had to show proof?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 16 13:05 BST (UK) »
Believe I have found a niece of William James Parkes - will forward PM.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
Believe I have found a niece of William James Parkes - will forward PM.

Annette

Hi Annette, Well surprise me :o

Thank you so much,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.