Author Topic: tracking down Longton(Meir) Stoke-on-Trent warhero Sgt Frederick Burton  (Read 708 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A few months ago I got in touch with the relative of a Pilot named Sgt D.M.V.Jordan. The aircraft a 619 Sqdn Lancaster bomber was shotdown 22 June 1944 homebound and took the lives of the young crew. Together with the relative I exchanged many information and we would like to share this information with the crew relatives as we also think about erecting a memorial near the crashsite. On board this lancaster was 26 year old Mid Upper gunner Sgt Frederick Burton who was the son of Arthur E. and Florence Burton, of 19 Melbourne Street, Sandford Hill,Longton,(Meir) Stoke-on-Trent. Who can help us with this matter. I am aware of the rules to publish not an address on still alive families but hopefully some one who can PM the details to me.

Many Thanks,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: tracking down Longton(Meir) Stoke-on-Trent warhero Sgt Frederick Burton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
Just checking dates, etc. - I cannot find him listed on the CWGC website??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Found him - accident date shown as 22/6/1943, not 1944.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
Oeppsss...my mistake. Very sorry!!!

Cheers,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Tracking down family of Frederick Burton is extremely difficult due to the common surname and how it abounds in the Stoke on Trent area.

Frederick was one of 9 surviving children born to Arthur Burton and Florence Millward who married 1898:

Alfred b.22/9/1900, d.1968 Stoke on Trent - married Winifred Hudson 1927 Stoke on Trent
Emily bc.1901-2
Florence bc.1903-4
Ivy bc.1906-7
Evelyn b.1/6/1908 - didn't marry until 1949 - no issue
Arthur Edwin b.6/3/1911, d.1998 Staffordshire - married Lucy Plant 1935 - possibly a son born 1946 but can't clearly identify in UK electoral roll.
Harry b.16/12/1913
Frederick b.20/7/1915
Jack b.4/8/1920, d.1998 Stoke on Trent.

With so many siblings you'd have thought it would be easy to follow them to establish living family but this is just not the case.   Too many possibilities to identify which relate to this family.

Believe I have found a son of Frederick's elder brother - one of 2 possibilities on electoral roll.   Will send you a PM with these details.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 16 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

Most usefull information and I will try both addresses you have send me. I will keep you informed about the outcome. Thanks anyway for your help.
Cheers,
Adrian