Author Topic: Help Needed for Place Location.  (Read 1687 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help Needed for Place Location.
« on: Saturday 06 August 16 06:51 BST (UK) »
I am seeking where aprox. "Catnobock"Forfar,Scotland was in 1650,as my Eaton family was there.
  Also seek a another place called "Curlog",Forfar,Scotland.
Then they moved on to "Cortachy and Clova" so it must have been in that area
 Have tried to Google both places with no luck.
Thanks for reading.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed for Place Location.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 16 08:46 BST (UK) »
Where did you see mention of Catnobock and Curlog?

Was it noted on a bmd event?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
I've scoured several maps in the area around Cortachy and Clova and not found either place.

Some interesting general information here:

http://www.oldroadsofscotland.com/stataccforfar.htm

They may be farmsteads so may not be marked on any but the most detailed map (if any) - I've looked at a few but still not been able to find them ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
Might also be mentioned in ScotlandsPlaces:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

Gadget

Added - there is this link on the site but you'll need a sub to access it:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/forfarshire-angus-os-name-books-1857-1861/forfar-angus-volume-15
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
There was a Carlogie Farm down near Carnoustie, but that is the other end of Forfarshire from Clova.
If Catnobock was mistranscribed there is a Balnaboth a bit south of Clova
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks  !!...went to all sites suggested,nothing. It is sort of what I expected...a farm name ...or a place no longer in existence.
  I will try and hit up the Scottish Archives and see if they can shed light on these two names
Yes...I have the certificates from ScotsPeople and one says .."in Curlog had a child baptized named"
So for that I am grateful.
  The further back we get the harder it becomes.
Thanks to all again.!!
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
There was a Carlogie Farm down near Carnoustie, but that is the other end of Forfarshire from Clova.
If Catnobock was mistranscribed there is a Balnaboth a bit south of Clova

It would be worth seeing the full entry which mentions Catnoboch as sometimes mistakes can happen when when entering the information. I did notice a few place names beginning with "Cat..." In the area, so maybe "Cats" were on the mind of the scribe. :) Curlog/Carlog/Carlogie ... looks promising.

Sometimes it can help to look at the neighbouring PR entries too  - I found a mix-up in the original with one of the names I was researching.

Also consider phonetic spellings - how might these words have sounded? Then look for place names that might fit the bill.

Although I did look at many contemporary maps, but wasn't able to find either place, it might be worth you systematically trawling through all of the ones on the NLS site. There are a lot, but many can be easily dismissed as they have little detail.

That's about all I can think to suggest. I have been thinking about this and would love for these places to be found.

Good luck.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 August 16 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie,
 I will give all a try...I have been scouring all the different maps I have plus on line for old maps.
    Have even gone onto the archive books on line.
An interesting item I found..1755 Cotchy & Clova had 1,020 souls,down 213 from the previous year.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 August 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
The parish is the basic geographical unit, and without that you have no hope of working out where a particular place was. Not least because it isn't unusual to find places with the same or very similar name in different parishes.

So I suggest

(a) tell us in which parish 'Catnobock' was
(b) tell us in which parish 'Curlog' was
(c) post here an extract of the image which contains 'Catnobock'
(d) post here an extract of the image whch contains 'Curlog'

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.