Author Topic: Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895  (Read 4546 times)

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895
« on: Saturday 06 August 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on a John Tobin born 6.11.1892 to an Edmond Tobin and Margaret Maher in Tipperary.

I'm trying to connect him to the Edmond Tobin and Margaret Ussher in Clonmel. Edmond Tobin was a blacksmith and almost all the records connected to him mention this. He had several children with his second wife Margaret Ussher in Clonmel between 1884 and 1891 and then one child in Tipperary in 1894. He died in Tipperary in 1895. But in 1892 a John Tobin was born in Tipperary to an Edmond Tobin blacksmith and Margaret Maher. I have the transcript of the birth registry and it's clearly Maher, but I can't find any marriage for an Edmond Tobin and Margaret Maher, nor any more children. I also have the transcript for the marriage of Edmond Tobin and Margaret Ussher and the Ussher does look like Maher when written so I wonder if it was a mistake or an illegitimate birth or what. There is no baptismal record for John or the other Tobin/Ussher child born in Tipperary though the others were all baptised at St Peter's and Paul's in Clonmel.

Does anyone one have any info about this family or about this John in particular? I can't find them on the 1901 or 1911 census, the family just disappears after Edmond's death in 1895, except for the son Edmond who died in WW1.

Thanks in advance.

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 16 06:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's the birth certificate I have. And that military record is for someone born in 1875, so way too old to be my John.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 16 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome

Are you saying you don't have Margaret and her children after Edmond's death in 1895? (apart from Edmond in the military).
It does look very possibly that it is a mistake. You are writing Margaret's surname as 'Ussher'. Does it appear as such on all documents?
If it were 'Usher' that would look more like 'Maher'.
What is the name of the child born in 1894?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can't find anything after his death. It bounces between Ussher and Usher on the records. On the son Edmond's baptismal registry which I've seen it's definitely Ussher. The marriage record is harder to read but it's transcribed as Ussher. On the children's civil birth and baptismal it's Usher or Ussher. On Margaret's own birth certificate and that of her siblings it's Usher.

The child in 1894 in Tipperary is Bridget, born 5 Jul 1894 but registered 11 Sept.

I'm hoping someone has the children in their family tree and have traced them since their births. I can't find marriage certificates for any of them, but I found 2 death certificates for the ones that died in early childhood.

Thanks.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
Pushing things age-wise, but needs to be ruled out regardless, a widow Margaret Tobin of Old Road Tipperary married widower James Corbett of Bank Place Tipperary on 13 September 1921, her father was recorded as James Ussher, a labourer.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile