Author Topic: Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 August 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
One of the irritations of an iPad is to have a reply all typed out only to have it disappear when you go to double check something.

Sorry to interrupt - yes it is irritating. I have started to copy my messages, if there is a lot if information, then if (when) I lose it, I can just paste it back again.
I've done that a few times but usually forget, when I started using the internet I used to write up my replies in Word and paste over, might have to start do the same using 'Note' on the iPad

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 August 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
She was born in Waterford, well baptised in Kilsheelan 1854. I was thinking single as in not married, didn't see there was a widow status. I don't see anyone listed as a widow that fits, that has any children with her of the right age.

I can't find Edward's service record, only things afterwards about his death.
I was just thinking you would expect a Parish Priest to get such detail correct, but it could be her.
Pity about the service record.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 07 August 16 18:37 BST (UK) »
There's at least 3 different Edmond Tobin's born in Waterford listed as boarder where his occupation is scholar/ yard boy or servant.

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 August 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your help, but I have now proven that this John Tobin is not the one I'm looking for. I have received the 1939 census results for my John in Glasgow and his date of birth is 15 May 1895.

So back to the drawing board.

If anyone wants any info on this family, I have traced it back quite a way so could pass on my info.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 August 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
Oh dear after all your hard work.
So you have a John Tobin born 15 May 1895.
 Is the father still Edmond/Edward, I assume you got this from his marriage cert.

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 August 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
I've put this on a thread on the main board but here's the info I have. Unfortunately he died when my father-in-law was only 9 so he doesn't remember anything about him except some stories from his mother.

I've hit a brick wall. I'm looking for some proof that my John Joseph Tobin born 15 May 1895 was born in Ireland. I only have his son's stories from his mother that give me this info. One son says he was from the Thurles or Clonmel area of Tipperary and another says Kilkenny. I checked all the John Tobin's born in Ireland between the end of 1894 to the end of 1895, none match.

He married Emily Curran in Glasgow in 1930 and died in 1947. I have found him on the 1939 census but I can't find any information about him before 1930.

Both his marriage and death certificates say his father was Edward Tobin (blacksmith) and his mother was Margaret Dwyer. I can't find a marriage certificate for them in Ireland or anywhere else (checked Ancestry, Family Search, Roots Ireland, Find my Past, Scotland's People and a few other sites). I can't find their death certificates for certain either. They are both listed as deceased on John's marriage certificate so before 1930. I can't find these three names together on the 1901 or 1911 Irish censuses.

He supposedly served in WW1 and was wounded and stayed in a hospital in Belgium but I can't find any service records to match him. He also was said to have twin brothers who also served and died in France. Not sure on their names, so can't find them either. The fourteen/nineteen society couldn't find a match either.

Any ideas of where I can look next? I've exhausted all the avenues I can think of.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 August 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
I tried a few searches but not surprising came up with nothing.
Did you follow this up?
I don't know if you're still doing this, but I'm looking for information on Tobins from Clonmel. I know about Edward Tobin who died at Ypres, but I'm looking for information on a John Joseph Tobin. I believe he served in France and was wounded and sent to a Belgian hospital. He was born around 1892. Sorry that's all I know.
His records are on Findmypast here.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007282772%2f00189&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7282772%2f18%2f188

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 August 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
Yeah, double checked it tonight. He lived and had family in the US which I'm sure someone would have remembered.  It also had a note that his DOB was July 1890. Thanks.