Author Topic: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Actinotus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 02 September 21 06:14 BST (UK) »
This is a picture of Jack Baldwin (left), with Grandma Baldwin (middle) and sister Mary (right) - a family picture shortly after he was found. A dress-up formal picture with a toy sheep.

Offline Actinotus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to little Jackie Baldwin ?
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 September 21 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Judith,
Nice to chat.  Yes, this is my Uncle Jackie who caused all the commotion and I have to thank my high-tech son for organising the photo for me. 

It seems that during the visit to Mrs Jones all those years ago, older children were allowed to go to the shop but Jack was either not allowed to go, or not wanted along however he climbed up the gate, let himself out and so wandered off and was lost.

It is a strange thing that the newspaper reports are the only records that we have. 
Since, according to the paper, there were some 14 or so Police Officers and also Blacktrackers involved I coughed up $30 for a search under the Freedom of Information Act for any records. 
I received a Notice of Decision in reply stating, in brief, that searches were made of State Police record repositories, Occurrence Pads, Police Gazettes etc., but nothing could be found.
Perhaps because the search had a happy outcome official records were not kept over a long period.

Best Regardss,
Actinotus.