Author Topic: A 17thC Inventory.....  (Read 449 times)

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A 17thC Inventory.....
« on: Monday 08 August 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have found a copy of a 17thC inventory for an ancestor who is on a chart as having died 1677, but the inventory date looks like "in the twentyninth year of the reign of Charles Second.  " which would make it 1689!     see attachment.
This would put it 12 years after his death, if that is correct -which seems a long time after death...so either the 1677 is wrong or my deciphering is wrong!  I still have to try and find the death in parish registers.
Surely an inventory wouldnt be dated that long after the death?

Can anyone shed light on when inventories were taken after death!
Thanks

BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A 17thC Inventory.....
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Charles II became King on the death of his father in 1649, despite the presence of Cromwell et al.  If the reign is dated from then, it would be the 29th year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_years_of_English_monarchs

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A 17thC Inventory.....
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it, Nell.

And of course, the date of the unfortunate parting of the ways between Charles I's head and the rest of His Majesty's body was 30 January 1648. It is only 1649 in the New Style introduced by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright