Author Topic: Thomas Corbett Davies: Knighton  (Read 5750 times)

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
Thomas Corbett Davies: Knighton
« on: Monday 08 August 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm trying to find the DOB and real place of birth of Thomas Corbert "Davies" C1798-1804, I have a few items I'll append at the end of this message, but first my queries of TCD, the puzzle is that on his son (same name) Thomas Corbett Davies's Marriage for 1867 Llangammarch, the son gives his father's name as Thomas Corbett only no Davies. I've searched extensively for the birth of TCD senior but cannot find his supposed birth of around 1798-1804, I've even had a private genealogist search too with no result except to intimate to me that TCD senior was illigitimate with a DAVIES mother.
So...I thought maybe I'd have some more chance of finding him with your help.

Item 1: his Death Record:
Name: DAVIES, Thomas Corbett
Record Type: Deaths
Age at death: 80
Quarter: June
Year of Death: 1878
District: Knighton
Residence: <1851-1878: Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales
County: Herefordshire Radnorshire Shropshire
Volume: 11b
Page: 124 .
Born: 1797 or 1799 - Byton, Herefordshire, England

Source Information:
Death Record: FreeBMD. England and Wales, Civil Registration Index:
1837-1983 [database online].
Source: RG10/5596 Folio 25 Page 31

Related Records
Sources:
1851 Wales Census
1871 Wales Census

Wife: Ann C Davies
Born: abt 1809
Birthplace: Brampton Brian, Herefordshire, England
Alt. Birthplace: Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales

Son: Thomas Davies
Born: abt 1842

Daughter: Eliza Davies
Born: abt 1844

Daughter: Emma Davies
Born: abt 1846

Daughter: Harriet C Davies
Born: abt 1848.

Item 2: An extract of the Death of his daughter Emma on which it states his occupation at the time of this event was "Town Crier", this being so, maybe there is some Record of him in this occupation in Knighton giving more details.

Saturday 10th May 1856 in the Hereford Times
'' Shocking Accident - It is this week our painful duty to record a truly melancholy and fatal accident
to a poor little girl, a daughter of Thomas Corbett Davies, the town crier.
It appears that on Tuesday, a cart was standing at the door of Mr Phillips,
in the Narrows, in this town, when the man in charge of the cart very
incautiously went into the shop, leaving no one to take care of the horse in his absence.
As might have been expected, shortly after the man left his charge, the horse took fright,
and started off at a tremendous pace down the hill. On arriving near to the premises of Mr Baker,
a confectioner, the horse came into contact with the poor little girl, above named,
knocking her down and injuring her in a truly awful manner, her head being cut frightfully.
She was instantly conveyed home, and medical aid was quickly on the spot,
it being nearly opposite the residence of Mr Ayres. All that could be done was at once resorted to,
but, in the space of from two to three hours afterwards, the poor little sufferer ceased to breathe.
Upon the parents, the suddeness of blow must have had a crushing effect,
their child having gone out so short a time before, in the full enjoyment of health and strength.
There was to be an inquest held on the body yesterday (Friday).
After running over the child, the frightened animal kept its headlong pace all down the town,
and was not stopped in its wild career until it had gone more than a mile on the Ludlow Road.
It was a mercy that a score of little children were not sacrificed,
or that many infirm old men and women were not knocked down, and in the same way trampled to death.
Will this act as a warning to drivers of carts?

In the 1841 Census for Knighton he lives in "The Narrows" and is listed as being a Shoe M[aker] but... he is listed as "Thomas CORBETT" leaving me with the quandary "is his surname Corbett or Davies?"

Maybe some of you in rootsland can help me, I'd be very grateful if you do,

Jim Hendry.
Hendry,Hendrie,pollock,Bonnar, Bonar, Gallacher, Gallagher.
(Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Ayrshire/Scotland).

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline robo196

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Corbett Davies: Knighton
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 16 22:05 BST (UK) »

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi seeing that 1871 census provided information to locate him in 1861 census:-

Thomas L ( C) 56 occ Rural Postman b ( Needs looking at on original)
Ann 50
Thomas 19 occ Butcher
Eliza 17
Harriett 13
All others born Knighton ( on original)
Residing at Wellington Place, Knighton
Census Ref RG09/4233/16/25
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 16 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Thanks for you input, but I already know of the later Census's, you will see in 1851 he states "Unknown" as POB, 1861 he states Presgeiga, (Presteigne I guess) Radnorshire, Wales, 1871 he gives Byton, Herefordshire, England as does his D/Cert.
I asked Powys Archives to search for me, they told me they did the search Knighton Parish Register Baps 1791-1810 also Presteigne Parish Register Baps 1791-1810 and there were no Entries.
I also had Byton Parish Register checked between 1780 and 1805 by Hereford Counsil, still no results except one for a Thomas Davies 1780 which could not be my one (on LDS too).

I'm beginning to think that only a visit to Powys Archives in person will solve this, and as I live in Scotland it's very doubtful I can.

My thoughts were of a mention somewhere in Knighton where he was a Town Crier, so I'll maybe have to contact them.

Thank you all again,

Jim.

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look to see if you can find a will for TCD?  He might mention other relatives such as brothers which could help.

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Well no, I didn't, this is a good idea and I'l get on to it right away, thank you for the thought and input.
Jim.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
What does it say on TCD's 1839 marriage cert for father's name?  And who were the witnesses - any clues there?

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Unfortunately there is no Will for 1878 on ancestry for TCD born C1799-1804. On the 1839 Marriage Cert, he gives his father as Thomas "CORBETT Labourer", no Davies... and his full name as TCD and an age of 35 making his birth 1804 which is contradicted in several Census returns as well as his D/Cert.
This is my puzzle, was the surname originally Corbett? or was he illegitimate with a Davies mother?? I can't even guess.
The witnesses are not of Corbett or Davies Surnames but looks like a married couple by the name Francis.
I'm thinking of asking the Knighton Council to see if there are any references to his being a Town Crier, maybe a name belonging to family or something. Then again would you know of any genealogical society's in Knighton?

Jim.