Author Topic: Thomas Corbett Davies: Knighton  (Read 5749 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Corbett Davies: Knighton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 16 00:16 BST (UK) »
This suggests he was known as Corbet(sic) as late as 1860,as well as confirming a dual role as letter carrier and town crier.

http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1191402/llgc-id:1191675/llgc-id:1191720/getText

Regards
Roger

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
You might already have seen this - but for general interest, this is the obit for TCD junior http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3859033/3859039/52/

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
The Powys baptisms for his children up to and including Harriett(1848) are given as plain Corbett,yet in the 1851 census they appear as Davies.There is also a Post Office appointment record for him in 1857 which gives him as Thomas Cubitt(sic) Davies,but contains no further information.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 August 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
Curiously,despite there being no Thomas Corbett in the 1851 or 1861 census in Knighton,there is a marriage of Thomas Corbett to Anne Davies in Knighton in 1857.This seems the correct pairing from the record,as there is a John and Sarah Ashton in the 1861 census.It seems too early for his son to be married...

Regards
Roger

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 16 13:54 BST (UK) »
Knighton have a town crier festival, googling it may help, or may confuse, as the price family have seemingly held the post for four generations.

Although the little girl was killed in the narrows I don't think you can assume that the family living in the narrows in 1841 is the same as the rural postman in later censuses

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
This suggests he was known as Corbet(sic) as late as 1860,as well as confirming a dual role as letter carrier and town crier.

http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1191402/llgc-id:1191675/llgc-id:1191720/getText

Regards
Roger

Roger, thanks for your interest, and no I was not aware of this article, very interesting, I knew he was a town crier and post man though.
Jim.
Hendry,Hendrie,pollock,Bonnar, Bonar, Gallacher, Gallagher.
(Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Ayrshire/Scotland).

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
You might already have seen this - but for general interest, this is the obit for TCD junior http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3859033/3859039/52/
My thanks, but I already have a copy of this newspaper article, this TCD B1841-1918 was my Grandfather and was the son, of the Thomas Corbet[t] C1799-1804 that I'm really after.
Jim.

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
The Powys baptisms for his children up to and including Harriett(1848) are given as plain Corbett,yet in the 1851 census they appear as Davies.There is also a Post Office appointment record for him in 1857 which gives him as Thomas Cubitt(sic) Davies,but contains no further information.

Regards
Roger
Hi, thats strange, maybe I have the wrong B/Record for all his kids, as far as ancestry goes they are all under Davies, see Harriet's below. I will search FindMyPast for Powys Baptisms though, just to be sure. And yes, I have the 1857 Postal Record for him, seems ancestry mis-transcribed this, Cubitt, it's actually Corbet.

Name Harriet Davies
Registration Year 1848
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration district Knighton
Knighton
Inferred County    Radnorshire
Volume    26
Page    269

Jim.

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Curiously,despite there being no Thomas Corbett in the 1851 or 1861 census in Knighton,there is a marriage of Thomas Corbett to Anne Davies in Knighton in 1857.This seems the correct pairing from the record,as there is a John and Sarah Ashton in the 1861 census.It seems too early for his son to be married...

Regards
Roger
Roger, I have the actual M/Cert for the 1839 Marriage of TCD C1799-1804, he marries a Ann Price in Brampton Bryan, Herefordshire, first child, TCD junior in 1841 born Knighton, I have this B/Cert too, but many thanks for your interest.
Jim.