Author Topic: Clifton in omoy 1840'  (Read 3661 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Clifton in omoy 1840'
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I will go onto ancestry and google in future as I find this all a little confusing. As  a veteran like your self who has almost 44 thousand individual posts and has managed to never ask  the same question twice I could understand your frustration at my inability to actually work the system. I have had great help over the years. Thank you. Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Your reply sounds a bit sarcastic  :-\ The reason that I have so many posts really dates back from the years when I was moderator of several boards here on Rootschat and worked on links for some of the resources boards, etc. ;D

Regarding the question of 'Omoy'- do you have an original copy of the clipping? or is it a transcript you've found or have been given? It's possible an A could be mistaken for O.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
You did say it was "Amoy ?" on this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=673863.msg6021269#msg6021269

Where did you find the obit?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi it was an article in the south China herald dated Jan 1905'it was an obituary. I found it in Papers Past. I will look for it again and check with Google. Thanks fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 July 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi it was an article in the south China herald dated Jan 1905'it was an obituary. I found it in Papers Past. I will look for it again and check with Google. Thanks fred

Sounds like it was copied from an article in South China Herald? I looked in Papers Past and could find anything for Clifton in Jan.1905 that was even close.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 July 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
North China Herald, Shanghai – dated 27 Jan 1905

One of the oldest foreign residents in China, and almost certainly the oldest in Shanghai, has passed away in the person of Mrs Clifton, whose death at the age of 87 took place on Saturday. Mrs Clifton came to Amoy in 1840, and went to Canton in 1842, and was one of the British residents there who were driven out by the Chinese. She came to Shanghai in 1854, just after the battle of Muddyflat, her husband being the first superintendent of Police in Shanghai. She had been a widow for a great many years, but had her daughters and grandchildren to cheer her up, having been tenderly cared for by her daughter, Mrs Limby. During her 64 years residence in China, she had only been home twice, in 1859 and 1867. A large number of her friends attended her funeral on Sunday afternoon.

Also under DEATHS
CLIFTON – On the 21st January, 1905 at the residence of her daughter, Mrs Limby, 12, Quinsan Gardens, Mrs F A Clifton, in her 87th year

Hope it helps.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
It is possible that she went to China as a missionary.

I note that she was baptised as an adult in London in 1839 under the surname Knight. (The address she gave - 26 Gloucester Place, New Road - was the home of Dr Jesse Addams DCL, QC).

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 July 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you. I didn't have that detail and will follow up. I have thought of the missionary idea but I think her baptism was more that she was illegitimate and her father major Jones had returned from overseas in1839 and had acknowledged her as his daughter. In the baptism she has the names,knight, De irujo, and Jones. She was quite well educated and I wonder if she was a governess. This is why I would like to see a shipping list and might have who she worked for. Thank you.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 July 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
In the baptism she has the names,knight, De irujo, and Jones.

No. The Christian names are Frances Augusta Jones, parent Lavinia, surname Knight.