Author Topic: Samuel HALLAM b abt 1810 ?Stockport s/o John & Mary  (Read 5214 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b abt 1810 ?Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #45 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:12 BST (UK) »

Hi

Yes I checked the Fogg family out too, to a certain extent. No joy.

But as we can see no British records for Samuel, I think it could well be that Samuel emigrated.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:23 BST (UK) »
...But as we can see no British records for Samuel, I think it could well be that Samuel emigrated.

I'll redouble efforts to find Samuel in the 1851 census return -if I can't find him then the 1846 passage to the US looks likely.

Did you find a possible hit in the 1850 US census?
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Here's a link but this guy is a farmer, so he could have changed occupations, will dig a bit further, 1870 American census.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DHWH-SC?i=6&wc=92KK-MNB%3A518684301%2C519402201%2C519856001%3Fcc%3D1438024&cc=1438024

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have revisited my search for Samuel in census returns, focussing on 1851. Still no success. Also no firm evidence for a death.

Even if he had emigrated, I would have expected his mother Mary's 1867 will to have some mention of him, if only the shilling. In another will that I read, mother wrote that if her eldest ever returned (he was doing well in Australia, where he went voluntarily), he was due the farm -he didn't come back - says something about the farm!

Hi Here's a link but this guy is a farmer, so he could have changed occupations, will dig a bit further, 1870 American census...

Nice find, thank you!

The cotton manufacturing business took off in the US after their Civil War and was concentrated in New England. The 'Lancashire' cotton business took a nose dive in the early 1840s and this might explain Sam's departure; if he had hung on, then he would have been sitting pretty because the end of the 1840s was a boom time for cotton, from which little brother Ephraim seems to have benefitted! Anyway, if Sam had emigrated in 1846 he would not have found an environment conducive to his trade and if he persevered, places like Providence RI or Boston MA are the places he would go. I am useless at US research and would really appreciate help on this because this story is getting interesting!

Ronald E Wayland has 'claimed' farmer Sam, as appears in the 1860 census, White IL. Ronald has transcribed much of his source material on his web pages and he has been thorough. He tracks farmer Sam to Staffordshire so if he is right, which I think he is, this is not my Sam. I am in contact with Ronald by email.

Sam is an elusive person!
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 11:56 BST (UK) »

Elusive isn't the word. But it's a big old world out there, possibly try records for Australia and New Zealand.

I had a brief look in Canadian records where there was a Samuel from England residing there too, but definitely not your man, born in the late 1840's.

Back on the hunt  :)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b 1810 Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 21 August 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
There's a Samuel HALLUM in the 1870 US census, aged 62 years living in Pickens county SC (cotton growing country). This looks possible because it fits in with the above mentioned 1846 immigration, which I like. However, there were Hallums that lived in Pickens Co from the late 18th century so this Samuel may have been born there -I don't have access to the census source material.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 21 August 16 13:20 BST (UK) »

Hi, this Samuel Hallum states he was born in SC and was of  mixed race.

Not sure why FS isn't working for me this morning, but you should be able to see the image of that census information. :(

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b 1810 Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 25 August 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could this be your man? - familysearch.org has the christening of a Samuel Hallman on 1 Dec 1811 at St Mary's Stockport - parents John Hallman and Mary.

Alan

I got to check the parish register this afternoon. Irritatingly, the register is definitely Hallman. The only additional information is that the birth was on 23 October.

There are no other likely christenings to John and Mary Hallman (yes, I've seen the John and Mary Allmond entries) and this is the only candidate christening for 'my man' that I have seen. So it's pencilled in.

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HALLAM b 1811 Stockport s/o John & Mary
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 25 August 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Found groom Samuel HALLUM bachelor of full age, candlewick manufacturer of Richmond St [south side of Manchester city centre], son of John HALLUM candlewick manufacturer (doesn't mention John was dead) married to Catharine SUMMERS at Manchester Collegiate Church 10 April 1846. The witnesses are Joseph BIRCH and Charles ANDREW (Samuel's brother Ephraim married a relation of Charles).

This looks good to me and I have turned my attention to Manchester but still haven't found him. I'll survey Trade Directories tomorrow.