Author Topic: peter Prime and the Royal Mariner Pension  (Read 153 times)

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
peter Prime and the Royal Mariner Pension
« on: Saturday 13 August 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
My research has got me as far as my second great grandfather Peter Prime born approx March 1798. I cant get any earlier. I know he married a Martha (don't know surname) ( 1801-1856) and was born in Leek. I think his parents were John and Dorothy but I have no more details. I'm also intrigued by the fact he was shown in the 1861 census as having a Royal Mariner Pension but I have no knowledge of WHY!
If anyone can help me it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: peter Prime and the Royal Mariner Pension
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Because it is likely that he is the Peter Prime who served in the Royal Marines (mariner is wrongly written).  A FindMyPast record for that name, born in Leek 1800 listed on the vessel Curlew in 1831 in the Indian Ocean, discharged 20 Apr 1831, invalided out.  (The entry date is given as 1830 but I don't believe that can be correct as his pension seems high for less than a year of service!).National Archive reference is the muster list for the vessel at ADM 37/8001.  FindMyPast also has a number of yearly listings of him drawing his pension.

maxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: peter Prime and the Royal Mariner Pension
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
that is excellent! Thank you so much!