Author Topic: Seldom Seen, Newfield  (Read 12518 times)

Offline MKRD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seldom Seen, Newfield
« Reply #36 on: Monday 23 January 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi is this search facility at County Durham Records office of any help?

https://gro.durham.gov.uk/pgPublicSearch.aspx

Regards - Michael
Hardie, Hargy, Robertson, Vaux, Douthart, Hargie, Farrell

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 January 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
in pursuit of my own branch of the Todds (Redworth, Heighington and Archdeacon Newton) I did spend some time going through wills on the North east Inheritance database, trying to work out links between various families of Todds. The only Cockfield Todd in the database, sadly, was John Todd, tallow chandler, who left a will in 1817, so is roughly the same date as your Todds. What was interesting was that he was obviously one of the West Auckland Todds, leaving a bequest to his nephew Fryer Todd, son of his brother Ralph in West Auckland and his other nephew, Fryer Todd again, son of his brother William in London. It may have been sheer coincidence hat he ended up living in Cockfield, but he obviously owned a lot of property there, which suggests that the family was well established. No mention of a Thomas Todd, sadly.
if you felt like working from an earlier date for a change, the 1666 Hearth Tax records give a  Christopher Todd
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Byers Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 October 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hello I along with my sister do history days on Byers Green as we were both born in the village, and my sister still lives there. Along Hagg Lane. I would be grateful for any copies of photos of people and especially the map that Neil Fox has. You can send them by email to me if you can contact me. We have just received some photos of Seldom Seen terraced house, which we are trying to sort. The houses are now all gone but the road to them is still there. Hagg Lane is at the top of Byers Green near the Church. Thanks for any help.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 October 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Don't know about a Neil Fox unless you are using the literal translation of TODD. I am still around but don't go online much anymore. If I can help I will with any requests.

Cheers Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Byers Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 October 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you do you have an email address and I can send you a picture of Seldom seen and I would like copies of any information you have on your past relatives, to include in our history details. I was born in Byers Green and my mother was born in the village and my Dad at New field. Whilst I was growing up their were 3different families of Todd none live in the village now but I am in contact with some of them. Which family are you looking for?

Offline Byers Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 19 October 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of Seldom Seen its very old in black and white but it definitely existed. Todhills is between Byers Green and Newfield hope this is useful if you have any queries I will try and help.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Byers Green for your input. We are completely astounded with the photo of the "The Old Farmhouse" Seldom Seen. It is truly rewarding after now almost 20 years of research to come up with this find of a house of our Ancestors which dates back to the 1600's.

I will attach a copy on this file for the original poster as it was them who got this started.

Regards
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Welbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 29 March 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
I have been trawling the Todd family  of Nutty Hagg and other places in Byers Green being a direct descendant. I see that "Byers Green" a brother and sister local history group form the village do research and produced pictures of Seldom Seen another place with Todd connections. There is an old post.
I wonder if they or anyone else have information on Nutty Hagg, the old family now pile of stones. According to maps it would seem to have been a house/cottage with a barn or stables. It was on a small acreage so would not have been substantial. I have visited and it would seem to have been one of those properties too remote for  modern services or it was too expensive.

Offline Byers Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hello I and my sister do the history weekend at Byers Green. My sister's both live in Byers Green and I was born in the village. I  copied the picture of the farmhouse it was situated at Todd Hills which is a hamlet between Newfield and Byers Green.