Author Topic: Looking for Donald Mcleods parents .  (Read 3286 times)

Offline arwen20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Donald Mcleods parents .
« on: Tuesday 16 August 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi could any one help finding Donald Mcleod's parents.All i have is who he married and when he died on certificates.It states his father is John  Mcleod on his marriage  certificate .I have 1901 census at 21 Katherine Street West Ham England. I can work  my research back from this Donald's   daughter Kate is my fathers grandmother so we know this is a definite match and also son Alick (Alexander) attended The Royal Caledonian Asylum in England and left in 1912  being gifted a bible from them inscribed with his name on it.We believe he was sent there after his father Donald Mcleod died in 1904 age 47years old .Donald was a marine engineer and he would have attended Edinburgh University to gain these qualifications i was told.Donald was married to Phillis Corbett then later spelt Phyllis in census returns .
There is also a family looking for a Donald Mcleod from Australia.They have said their Donald was last seen on 1881 census from Tongue Sutherland but father William Mcleod and mother Ann Mcleod(nee Mckay)  Their Donald is listed as a student at Edinburgh University also aged 22.This family cannot trace what happened to their Donald but i think my Donald and theirs is the same person.There is confusion over the parents as John is listed as my Donalds father but theirs is William .Saying this there are records of William John Mcleods being called John only and so on through the research .There is an awful lot of confusion appearing as the parents of their Donald initially from records i have researched from Scotlands people .The original records state there are no middle names then a few years into records there are now middle names and these are from marriage certificates.Basically there is William Mcleod married to Ann Mckay then there is William Mckenzie Mcleod married to Ann Gordon Mackay but with the same marriage dates same area and same children listed in census.Can someone help please

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Donald Mcleods parents .
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 22:13 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census has a Donald McLeod listed on a vessel in Glasgow as an ABS (Able Bodied Seaman) with year of birth 1857, place of birth Glasgow. He is possibly the son of John McLeod and Mary nee McFadyen born in Tradeston, Glasgow on 24th October 1857.
What evidence do you have pointing to Sutherland as a place of birth?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
there is William Mcleod married to Ann Mckay then there is William Mckenzie Mcleod married to Ann Gordon Mackay but with the same marriage dates same area and same children listed in census.Can someone help please

Hi arwen,

The marriages you have with same names, are they in the same Parish?

There could be different Parishes within the same area which could in theory be next door neighbours almost, simply because of where one parish ends & another begins.

What year, where (which area & which parish) on each & were the witnesses the same on both entries?

What age & occupation was given on each & what was the occupation for the father on both?

Which documents does the "Australian" researcher have?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 11:28 BST (UK) »
Think I may have found another possibility for your Donald.
Donald McLeod age 4 born Monzie, Perthshire appears in the 1861 census in Greenock along with parents John and Grace. John born 1828 Harris and Grace born 1826 Monzie. From her death notice in the Greenock Telegraph ( 1899) it would appear that Grace's maiden name was Taylor. John McLoud and Grace Taylor married in 1856 in Kilmallie, Argyll and son Donald McLeoud was born in Monzie in 1857 ( from Scotlandspeople) The family are in Greenock in 1871 and 1881 by which time Donald is described as an Engine Fitter. His father John is described as a Yachtsman. In 1891 Grace is in Greenock with some of her other children ( but not Donald) described as married ( can't find John). Son Norman ( brother to Donald) is described as Steam Enginemaker Turner. In 1901 Norman is still in Greenock, now married with children and described as a Mechanical Engineer. His father John ( now a widower) is living with them described as a Yachtsman.
I think the information that Donald must have attended Glasgow University in order to be a Marine Engineer is a slight red herring. At this point in time he is much more likely to have learned his trade 'on the job'. Greenock was a busy port and the family background and 1881 census info described above would be a good match for your Donald.
Isobel

Offline arwen20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
The family from Australia posted looking for a   Donald married to Phillis Corbett ,West Ham Marine engineer.....but i think i will need to put all that to the side ,they said their search was family hearsay and a lot of research through the years , i prefer to do research  using birth,death and marriage certificates to confirm everything. as im finding so many mistakes in the census .Their  Donald was last seen on the 1881 on the Tongue Sutherland  census as a student at Edinburgh University and then completely disappeared they thought perhaps he was the one that turned up in West Ham and that to be a marine engineer he would have been a student at Edinburgh.   But his parents are ,so they told me was William and Ann Mcleod in one document then in another document it states William Mckenzie Macleod and Ann Gordon Mackay and not John McLeod as my Donalds marriage certificate states. .So i think because there are differences im going to have to start from scratch and forget about all that info and if we finally find they are related that would be nice .

So sorry for the long post ,here is my Donald and his family

Donald McLeod                      Born 1856                   Scotland Died in Westham 1904 age 47
Phillis /Phyllis McLeod             Born 1866  Shadwell    London
Nellie (Ellen Hannah) McLeod  Born 1884  Silvertown  Essex
Donald McLeod                      Born 1886 Silvertown Essex   Died 1892
John William McLeod              Born 1888  Silvertown  Essex
Kate McLeod                         Born 1890  Silvertown  Essex Kate Married John Robert Pattison 1909
Norman McLeod                    Born  1893  Silvertown   Essex
Annie McLeod                       Born 1896    Silvertown Essex
Alick(Alexander) McLeod        Born  1898    Silvertown Essex
Robert McLeod                      Born  1902    Silvertown Essex
Archie(Archibald) McLeod       Born 1904     Silvertown Essex

Donalds father is John McLeod on the marriage certificate feb 1883 Essex

Hope this helps  ;D

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
What occupation is given for father John on the marriage certificate?
Isobel

Offline arwen20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 September 16 02:44 BST (UK) »
I cant read his occupation,its not very clear

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 September 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Arwen,

Can you please post a cropped version with relevant details with surrounding info. on doc. to help with deciphering comparison?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 November 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Can I get back to you later     McKenzie and Gordon are in my family from Scotland   Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth