Author Topic: Where are my g.aunt and uncle?  (Read 3661 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my g.aunt and uncle?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 August 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
I've sent off for the 1933 marriage, so fingers crossed it is the right couple.  If so, I've no idea why, on the 1939 register, she would give the wrong date of birth.  I could see that Jack Smith was younger than her, so why make herself even younger?

There are also two deaths for Mary E Smith in Hull but either of them could be the right person, so I'll think about ordering one of them at a later date.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 August 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
 :) ;D ;D

I'll owe you a certificate if it's the wrong marriage. I just didn't see anything else that looked "right".

Fingers crossed here as well. :)

Maureen

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 August 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
At least modern certs are easy to find.  At the moment I'm trying to find BMDs from Quaker lists in Yorkshire in the 1600s/1700s!  Some have been transcribed but many haven't.  Ancestry have a couple of different lists but, unfortunately, due to very tight binding the right hand page out of two has the edge cut off it, and lots of other pages are upside down.  ::)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 September 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
Maureen - you don't owe me a certificate.  I've got the marriage cert now of Mary Elizabeth Cook aged 46 a widow of 6 Gardiners Buldings, Walker Street, Hull, father Thomas Bolton (Boulton) Benson, deceased, fisherman, married on 26 December 1933 at the Register Office, Hull to John Smith aged 40 years a bachelor of 23 Paradise Place, Commercial Road, Hull, a fisherman, his father was also called John Smith (and deceased) so Mary has gone full circle and eventually married a fisherman like her father!

I still don't know why she would give the wrong date of birth on the 1939 register.  Even stating she was 46 at the time of her marriage is wrong.  Her birthdate is 2 June 1888, so by December 1933 she would only have been 45 and as her husband was younger than her, why on earth would she add a year to her age?

I can't find her or her husband on the 1939 register, but if he was a fisherman it's possible he was at sea.  I have found a WW2 civilian death in 1942 of a John Smith of Hull aged 50, but it states son of the late John and Annie Smith.  No mention of Mary Elizabeth.  I wonder if they had already separated, a 3 times married woman aged 46 marrying a 40 year old bachelor doesn't seem a good fit. I also looked for deaths at sea, but I couldn't see one for a John Smith, husband of Mary E Smith, or even a John Smith from Hull. Looking on the normal deaths, there are 2 other John Smiths of the correct age, also dying in 1942.  So who knows?

So is one of the deaths in 1956 and 1965 Mary E Smith?  There's one in 1972 but by then dates of birth were included, so I can discount that one.  I guess I could order both death certs but I can't think what criteria to ask them to look for, widow - might apply to both, or maybe even wife of John Smith.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 September 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
I think I've come to the conclusion that Jack Smith 6.12.1889 and Mary E Smith 2.6 1887 are the right couple.  Mary added a year to her age on her marriage cert, (which fits in with the 1939 register) but Jack seems to have knocked 4 years off his age.  He said he was 40 on 29.12.1933, whereas if he was born 6.12.1889 (as per 1939 register) he would have been 44!  The fact that they were living in Bean Street, which is where Mary was and two of her siblings were born is, I think, quite relevant.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Whew! Glad that it was the correct cert! :)

Why did she have to marry a John SMITH? ::)

I agree that it really looks like them in 1939.
If John has  "changed" his year of birth I guess that death in 1968 (Hull) might be him. :-\

As for Mary...as you say-either 1956 or 1965 are possibles.

Good luck and thanks for the update! :)

Maureen

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
Typically, there are two deaths of John Smiths in Hull in 1968, well there's 3 but one has an age of 107  ::) I wonder if that can be right.  The other two are aged 72 and 79.  If he was born in 1893 which ties up with his age on his marriage cert, then he would have been 75 in 1968.

There's also another death in Hull in 1962, with an approx date of birth 1893. 

If any of these deaths are correct, then John Smith would still have been alive when Mary died.  I'm going to order both certs and ask for the one with John Smith as husband and see how I get on.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a good idea. Fingers crossed (again). :)

Maureen

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
There used to be a way of ordering on line where you could ask for say the name of the person's spouse, but I can't see that now, so I've sent GRO an e-mail to ask how I can get the entries checked before I spend money on two certs.  Hopefully, I'll get an answer within a few days - knowing how government bodies work, I doubt it will be any quicker than that.