Author Topic: Where are my g.aunt and uncle?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my g.aunt and uncle?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 16 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maureen

Mary's son was called George Henry Carter and was born 27 July 1912, so he would have been 21 in 1933, so that's very interesting.

Re the marriage to Frederick James Cook, I did see that (plus 3 others), one in 1925 looked promising but the date of birth was wrong on the 1939 census.  Of course I hadn't thought of her re-marrying and then the 2nd husband dying.  As you say with the address of Frederick Cook when he died and George Henry Carter when he was fined for theft being the same, it looks very promising.  That's another marriage cert to buy  :o

I wonder as George was a thief, his father was also and perhaps he was in prison somewhere, if not it would seem he either re-married or died before 1919.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Maureen's detective work, I've found George Carter.  He died 28.10.18 of sickness in a POW camp, Friedrichsfeld.  His effects of £14 5s 4d were sent to his widow Mary E COOK  ;D

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she had been advised he had been killed, otherwise it was a pretty swift marriage, Jun qtr 1919 and him only dying in at the end of October 1918.  Having read an article in the paper today about step parents and the effect it has on children, even when the children are adults, perhaps it's not surprising George junior went off the rails.  He was only 6 when his dad died and within months his mother had remarried.  His sister was older, she was 15 at the time, even so you can't think that she wasn't affected either.

Mary's brother George Reuben was also killed during WWI on 24 November 1917 and his girlfriend at the time, to whom he left all his effects also married in the June qtr of 1919.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
George is buried in Cologne, Southern Cemetery.  It seems that in 1922 it was decided that the graves of Commonwealth servicemen who had died all over Germany should be brought together into four permanent cemeteries at Kassel, Berlin, Hamburg and Cologne. Over the course of the following year, graves were transferred to Cologne Southern Cemetery from over 180 different burial grounds in Hanover, Hessen, the Rhine and Westphalia.  Friedrichsfeld Prisoners of War Cemetery 70 burials from 1916-1918 were transferred to Cologne.

Prisoners weakened by wounds, poor diet, or fatigue were particularly susceptible to the effects of disease and an outbreak of typhus in 1915 and the influenza epidemic of 1918 had a devastating effect on the Allied prisoner population.  I guess George Carter probably died during the influenza epidemic.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Very sad, but well done for finding George.

Maureen

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
There were so many George Carters and I looked through so many records but had no way of finding the correct one until you found Mary's marriage to Mr Cook.  On Ancestry there are some records called UK Army Register of Soldiers' Effects 1901-1929 and as this was a shorter list I started searching that one first, concentrating on soldiers in Yorkshire regiments.  Then I found him.  At first I couldn't find him on CWGC, but once I knew he'd died in Germany it was easy.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my g.aunt and uncle? COMPLETED thanks to MaureeninNY
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 August 16 12:26 BST (UK) »
I am calling this thread Completed now.  Many thanks to all especially MaureeninNY.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 August 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
I've now received the marriage certificate of Mary Elizabeth Carter to Frederick James Carter and it is the correct couple.  Mary shows her father as Thomas Bolton (Boulton) Benson deceased a fisherman, which is correct.  He was my g.grandfather.

It also shows that both Frederick Cook and Mary Elizabeth Carter had been married before.  He was a widower, she a widow.  His occupation was given as Timber Yard Labourer, I guess that was after he'd finished playing football.  He was 38 years old and she was 32 years old and their address was 6 Gardeners Buildings, Walker Street, Hull.  They married in Hull Register Office.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 August 16 02:31 BST (UK) »
 :) :)
Oh,how kind of you to update. :)

Certs are the best! ;D

The one to John SMITH in 1933...

Best,
Maureen