Author Topic: Coughlin and Dalton Kilmacow  (Read 736 times)

Offline OttawaJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coughlin and Dalton Kilmacow
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on a Margaret (nee Dalton) Coughlin in and around Kilmacow, Kilkenny.

Margaret (who is my great, great great grandmother), was baptized in Templeorum in 1804 (the daughter of William Dalton. She was married to George Coughlin in Kilkenny City 1826 (George was living in Ullid at the time of the wedding). They had at least one child John, who turns up in the 1851 census in London and in 1853 married Elizabeth Shephard.

George died Mar 1867 aged 66 and is buried in the RC churchyard in Kilmacow. In his death notice it said he is the son of Edward(?)

I cannot find a death record for Margaret (I think the one in Wexford is not her). The parish register for Kilmacow is missing and she is not in civil registration for Ireland or England. My questions, if anyone can answer or point me in the right direction to an answer are: -
(a) Is she with George in the Kilmacow cemetery?
(b) Could she be buried in Templeorum or elsewhere? If so when?
(c) Did George and Margaret have any other children other than John?
(d) Could the Edward (father of George Couglin) actually be Edmund?

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coughlin and Dalton Kilmacow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
[quote (d) Could the Edward (father of George Couglin) actually be Edmund?[/quote]

Edmund and Edward names are interchangeable

The Couglin surname might be recorded with different spellings such as Coughlan.