Author Topic: Finding a house on an online map  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a house on an online map
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Penny.

Like others, I would like to know when he lived there. Was he there in the 1911 census for example? If he is locatable at the place in a census then it is relatively easy to work out which "Hampt".

If you let is know dates and his name we will try to help you.  :)

ScouseBoy, googling the postcode will not help work out where "Hampt" is or was. You need the address to get the postcode, and the address /exact location is what Penny is attempting to establish.  ::) Postcodes were introduced in the late 50s/60s.

Added: If he is still living, then the dates he lived there will obviously be more recent. We are not allowed to name living people either, so keep that in mind.  :)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 16 22:57 BST (UK) »
Someone gave a post code  on page one.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
Many posters  have already given  many web address  of maps.

In my experience, with my county council,   I would suggest that you look at www.cornwall.gov.uk      and find their map page.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 August 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Using Streetmap (http://www.streetmap.co.uk), searching for Higher Hampt will allow you to view the current OS map.

Nell
   And  in addition to that, there will probably be  the extra choice   of getting a Satellite  view.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
Someone gave a post code  on page one.
Hampt seems to be the name of a number of settlements.  This map shows Higher Hampt, Middle Hampt & Lower Hampt:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/105992791

All three places still marked on the modern OS map.  I think that your grandfather lived in one of these hamlets.  This might be more difficult than it initially appeared.  :-\

Nell

As noted, by Nell there are several "Hampts" - we need to establish which one.  ::)

At reply #2 Girl Guide helpfully gave the postcode of Hampton Manor. It has since been discovered that there are several "Hampts" so the one she found may or may not be the Hampt that Penny is looking for.

We need Penny to return with further information to try to determine which Hampt she is referring to. :)

Offline pennynicholls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your replies and I will click on the links given.  Just to say that in 1757 William Nattle married Jane Palmer in Stoke Climsland Church.  Then Jacob Nattle was born and died there (1772-1834).  He married Mary Williams and one of their children was William Henry Nattle (1813-1879). He married Elizabeth Hodgkin Fitz and in the 1881 Census they lived at Middle Hampt.  Another William Henry was born in 1845 in Stoke Climsland and died in Hampt Cottage in 1925.  He farmed 250 acres. His son, my grandfather, Harold Rundle Nattle, was aged 5 yrs in that census. He became a doctor and went out to Basutoland, Africa. Wm Henry jun. in 1891 Census was a yeoman of Lower Hampt.  So all those Hampts are of interest.  Thanks so much for the help and to know the properties are still on the OS maps is so encouraging.  Members of my family visited them years ago, so I think the houses are still the same ones.  I don't know the street address and hope to find this out.

Offline Smorri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 September 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I will be able to help with any questions, but we have not long moved to Middle Hampt Farmhouse, our house used to be part of a larger farm which has since been spilt and the barns developed, I would love to know more about it's history and the people that lived here.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 September 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Smorri,

Welcome to RootsChat

I am just leaving the link for the same question you have posted here, so other members know their maybe a duplication of replies.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=6402.msg7212129#msg7212129

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk