Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119169 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #603 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks dobfarm & Claire.

I had found the actual B.T. image of the 1800 John Hood burial.

That history of Heworth St Mary, especially the reference to the historic coins being found, was interesting.

Claire, I don't know how FindMyPast got Wood in the transcription :o , it is definitely John Hood in the image!

Regarding the Blue Quaries location, I even tried that location in the newspaper search too and noticed the newspaper said Gateshead Fell, which is East Gateshead.

I should imagine this John Hood aged 55 buried 31st December 1800 was likely the one baptised Gateshead, Durham, in December 1745.

Interesting this John Hood, Shoemaker, burial at St Mary, Heworth, County of Durham, in 1800, because the parents of John Samuel Hood and John Lionel Hood (both baptised 1800) were - Anthony Hood and Elizabeth Snowdon and were linked to Heworth, Durham, in 1800.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #604 on: Saturday 15 December 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Came across this - names, places and trade seems to ring bells

Probably nothing - but ?

(Shoemakers, Cordwainer - Tanners, Brewers needing holding vessels/barrels for liquids needed to procure hides, brews, thus sometimes a father of above trades would put a son into a trade linked to his own business trade needs or processes)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=780619.msg6349257#msg6349257

1861 Census we we have in Newcastle upon Tyne;
Elizabeth Todd, 68, Head, Widow, no occp, born Scarborough, Yorkshire
George Hoult, 15, Grandson, Cooper, born Heworth, Durham
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thank you dobfarm for the comment.

I have been brushing up on history, in view of what I can vaguely recall my Grandmother saying about the Great North Road from Scotland into England. Bonnie Prince Charlie and several Kings.

The Hoods might have marched twice from Scotland down the Great North Road.

1. Hoods who marched with Col. Hood and General George Monck in 1660 (restoration of Charles II).
2. Hoods who supported Charles Edward Stuart in 1745 - 1746 (Bonnie Prince Charlie the Pretender).

Bonnie Prince Charlie, got so far into England and then turned back to Scotland with his supporters and after hiding eventually escaped in a boat dressed in Women's clothes into exile.

From my Grandmother's account about Bonnie Prince Charlie I am left wondering if my ancestors were supporters of 'The Pretender's' ill-fated excursion into England and nothing to do with either of the Mariners.

This might probably be where Having respect for the Crown stems from.

Our ancestor turning his back on past family life, may simply be an excuse out of pride and to change loyalties to support the English Crown.

I suspect my George Hood would be Protestant and if so, he'll have no C of E Baptism anywhere. The 1945 letter from Chapman of Blackpool and Scarborough says the Hood of Selby family were divided and I suspect it was a Religious divide, hence George Hood's odd burial by the Quakers. The Mother Sarah (nee Russell) probably got their Children baptised.

I'll have to keep an open mind, but my Grandmother referred to the Great North Road from Scotland. Also mentioned was Bonnie Prince Charlie, various battles [which I can see, some are linked to the Jacobite Rebellion 1745 - 1746] and she gave a history of the Stuart Kings back to James VI King of Scotland who was also King James I King of England.

Bonnie Prince Charlie was a Stuart and those who supported him wanted another Stuart King of England.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Seeing as you are tracing your surname directly back through your Hood forefathers male line back, one has to put or rise the issue of there are 2 lines from each generation marriage  ? is there the possibility arising (from her own maiden name ancestors) is your grandmother relating either her own ancestry line or one of the Hood female husband spouse's lines back. Her tales are 2nd hand from the start as her marriage to your grandfather's Hood line at the start that leaves open to;- question : has she got the tale right from him to relate to that far back in history with accuracy as tales are passed down the generations or one of the ancestor generation of passing the tale down !! got mixed up as to a father or mothers ancestry line back

Devotion to a granny's old hearsay fireside tales to a little boy as being accurate and accuracy of related true history are 2 different things.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: Sunday 23 December 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Yes dobfarm, there is always the possiblity that an ancestor of one of my female direct line ancestors had been involved. When my Grandmother was telling me this, my Grandfather was long dead.

My Grandmother had remarried a Scotsman and the Clan of his surname, are shown on a battlefield.

According to a book, Scottish records are naming several Hoods and places of residence as being involved or supporters of the 1745 - 1746 Rebellion.

----------

Some surname Spencer are of Scottish origin too.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: Sunday 08 September 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
Expecting 3 more Wills and wish to keep this (posted as a note only), might need it later to research.

The Morpeth Herald, 27th November 1875
At Chirnside, Berwickshire, 17th inst, aged 91, Robert Hood, father to William Hood, Esq., of Tynemouth.

The Newcastle Journal, 20th December 1851
In Grey Street, on the 16th inst. aged 82, Mrs Jane Hood, formerly of Gateshead.

Dundee, Perth and Cupar Advertiser, 23rd February 1858
Mr Gerald Massey ... This week he has been lecturing at West Hartlepool, on Hood and Burns.— Gateshead Observer.

Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury, 14th May 1864
At Gateshead, at St. Mary's, on the 8th inst., Mr William Hood, of Gateshead, engine fitter, to Miss Margaret Napier, of Newcastle.
Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 11:41 BST (UK) »

It would be interesting if we could find the children of William Cook and Elizabeth Hood, and where they ended up. Children - Eleanor, Rosamund, William and Elizabeth.

Thanks to the other thread someone started I feel fairly sure Eleanor married as Ellen Cook in London to a George William Bentley. Her two sons were both given the middle name Hood and her daughter was a Elizabeth Rose Bentley who went on to marry a William Cotter, who ran his own business as a Flour Carman.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=163102.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=106949.msg6431373#msg6431373

From my jotted notes (not detailed) Rosamund married Thomas Abbott of Loders, Dorsetshire & ended up in Guernsey.  Thomas was a master mariner & Rosamund became a Boarding House Keeper.

Hello Jomot, Claire and All

7 January 1837
Rosamund COOK hath resided in Morpeth for 15 days last past, Spinster, aged 21 years and Thomas ABBOTT of the Parish of Loders, Dorsetshire, Bachelor, aged 21 years hath prayed for a Licence.

Hello

Interesting that Rosamond COOK, born North Shields per Census (a descendant of Elizabeth Hood) should live in Morpeth at the time of her 1837 Marriage.

A John Hood, Mariner (who married Elizabeth Gibson at Newcastle in 1779) and whose age fits very nicely, to a John Hood buried at Morpeth in 1824 and formerly a Keelman on the Tyne.

Some Mariners when finished at Sea, did do other work, etc.

Any M.I. for John Hood buried Morpeth 19 September 1824?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=818531.msg6805351#msg6805351

I wonder?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: Sunday 13 September 20 11:01 BST (UK) »

Petre and Others to Hood
I'm looking at the 1836 registration (purchase) of the premises by George Hood, lately occupied by George Hood, but at the last Survey [of the Manor - not found] were occupied by Richard Gibson and Thomas Holliday [possibly alias Halliday].

The document of Edward Robert Petre, was attested by Edward Parker of Selby, Gentleman and William White of No. 108 Cheapside in the City of London, Gentleman.

Those involved in the Release document:- William Henry Francis Lord Petre and Henry Charles Earl of Surrey Edward Robert Petre Charles Henry Pigot of Great Marlborough Street county of Middlesex Gentleman George Hood Wm Massey of Selby Merchant Edward White of Great Marlborough Street Gentleman and Jonathan Hutchinson of Selby ...

EDIT: seems the above names don't help me much.

~~~~~~~~---------------

This kicked off too, later in 1807 in London, mentioning William White deceased and asking for the Hoods at East Stoke, Hampshire (might just be a coincidence) ...

London, November 25, 1807.
Notice is hereby given to George Hood, William Hood,
and Richard Hood, the Three Sons of Richard Hood,
of the Parish of East-Stoke, Dorsetshire, by Rachael Hood,
his late Wife, the Nephews of William White, formerly
Servant to Mr. Quinnell, of Chichester, and late of Ripley,
in Surrey, deceased, that if they do not, on or before the 24th
of June next, apply to James Taplin, of Maid-Lane, South-
wark, Maltster, or Abraham Fenn, of Cobham, Surrey, Vic-
tualler, the Executors of the said Deceased, and prove them-
selves respectively to have been resident within that Part of
the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland called
Great Britain, in the Month of May 1806, when the said
Deceased died, they will be excluded from all Benefit which
otherwise they would be entitled to under the Will of their
late Uncle, the said William White, deceased.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16093/page/1638/data.pdf

Upon Trust and in manner [word unreadable (and truncated) ] ment'd

... He the said Edw White at the req't & dir'on of the sd Wm Hy Francis Lord Petre & Henry Charles Earl of Surrey Edw'd Rob't Petre & Charles Henry Pigot & at the [word unreadable] & appointment of the sd George Hood testified &c Did bargain sell assign transfer & set over unto the sd Jonathan Hutchinson his exors admors & assigns ...

To hold the Dwghses or Tenemts heredits & premes with the appurts ...
In Trust nevless for the sd George Hood ...
Covenant by the sd Edward White That he had not incumb'e

1836 Appointment and Release.
in fee of hereditaments at Selby.-
On the reverse ... Received on the day and year first within written of and from the within named George Hood the sum of Five hundred and ten pounds being the consideration money within expressed to be paid by him to us
Witnesses
Edward Parker            Petre
Jno Alfd Curtis            Surrey

I am left wondering why George Hood who paid the £510 had to use Hutchinson.

George Hood's wife was excluded from having a Dower.

Mark

Added:
The other document for George Hood's actual property says George Hood of Selby in the County of York Brewer has paid 5 shillings in the hand to each of the following The Right Honourable William Henry Francis Lord Petre and The Honourable Henry Charles Howard commonly called the Earl of Surrey and The Honourable Edward Robert Petre late of Stapleton Park in the County of York but now residing at Brussels.

There are past references to Petre having Judgements served against him.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: Saturday 03 October 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic !!, We have an idea what George Hood born abt 1786 was worth as a cooper around 1812 to 1815, then increased his wealth through business known how through his life, yet there seem large figures of money that pop up attribute to his name in later years of his life. I'm beginning to wonder if he was a benefactor of a Will  or Wills through his adult life, to be left money from his ancestors or from his own family or his as yet unknown beginnings.  ???

£500 was a lot of money then, (and like the newspater add of the cost of a steam engine he sold ?).  :-\

opinions  on above :)