Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119354 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #612 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

I hope you are keeping well.

The Hood property Deeds seen before Lockdown didn't shed much light on George Hood's background.

What was amongst the document files was a damaged page torn apparently from a small Russell Bible dated MDCCLXXI.

To find this 1771 page was certainly exciting and must be fairly rare!

William Russell & Mary Burton Married May 17th 1792.
Sarah Russell Born Sep't 30th 1793
Hannah Russell Born April 12th 1796
[r/h of page worn away from here, info in square brackets added from Selby & Hull Registers]
Wm Russell Born May 31st 179 [Register says 1st June 1799]
William Russell Dide June 28
Mary Russell Born September 9
Mary Russell Dyed October 13 [Hull Holy T. Burials 15 October 1802 Mary D of Wm Russell]
William Russell Junr Dyed Nov [at Hull and in Selby Burial Register 11 November 1802 William Russell Junr aged 3 of Small Pox]
Ho1

[H little o raised and a 1], as though it has been used in Court, I have seen this type of lettering & numbering when Deeds have been presented as evidence to a Court of Chancery.

One thing about this lettering & number were:-
There was also an early 19th Century Auction Sales Particulars amongst the large file of documents which included Lots relating to Byefield being listed.

You may recall that in 1805 at Sculcoates Mary Russell, Widow, married Thomas Gouldsbrough Widower of Selby and when Thos Gouldsbrough died, three of George Hood's Sons appeared at the Manor of Selby Court to take over the Copyhold property and Mortgage from Gouldsbrough's Widow.

So the Family Bible page might once have been supplied to the Manor of Selby Court and returned, because of the old Bye Field Sale Particulars also being left amongst the documents in the files relating to Hood's other property he purchased from Lord Petre.

Or the Bible page left filed for some other currently unknown reason. ADDED: or perhaps Sarah Russell had to show her Father and Siblings were dead to inherit from somewhere.
 ----------
Seems Petre had Court finanicial Judgements against him and the Manor from two Swann family, Bankers at York and Others such as Downe. Fortunately these are all Registered at Wakefield prior to George Hood's registered in 1836.

The £510 seems to have been negotiated and paid by George Hood of Selby to remove the Incumbrances put by several past Court Judgements against the Manor and Petre.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #613 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
With George Hood very involved local Selby community life post is marriage in 1815 to 1845 or 46- If it was today 2020 - I would say he had all the Hallmarks of being one of the  USA witness protection program from his real name and former life.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
If and it is a big if ... if George Hood was an illegitimate Son of Ann Pearson alias Hannah Pearson of Rawcliffe near Goole/Snaith (and there is a George, illegitimate baptism to Ms Pearson within a couple of years of his approximate birth year), the Brig Industry Muster Roll in 1785 show John Hood, Master Mariner's Crew 'Mate' was Jno Ellerthorp born Rawcliffe.

Therefore, John Hood, Master Mariner, of Selby (previously of Scarborough) could possibly have been in Rawcliffe around 1785 and bumped into or been enticed by Ann / Hannah Pearson of Rawcliffe in the years around my George Hood's Birth year.

Image and transcription here (thread Reply #54, 21 July 2018)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6541301#msg6541301
 ----------
John Ellerthorpe: The Hero of the Humber [possibly his Son]
http://museumshull.blogspot.com/2015/09/john-ellerthorpe-hero-of-humber.html
 ----------
I can see having to resort to Y-DNA.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: Monday 23 November 20 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see a link back via my Sarah Russell on her Burton lineage to the Dr John Burton below.
 ----------
Dr John Burton (born 1710) married Mary Henson at York, England, in 1734 and was a supporter of the rebellion in 1745-1746. Mary Henson's parents were Samuel Henson, Gentleman and Mrs Mary Dunn, who married at Wistow, near Selby, in 1713.

Added: See also page 205 onward (written by Thomas Burton, Esq., of Turnham Hall, Yorkshire)
https://archive.org/stream/heminbrough00burt#page/204/mode/2up/search/Hood
 ----------
Matthew Hood buried Selby Abbey 1717 had previously married Elizabeth Byard at Wistow, picture of his grave at reply 6 here:-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751453.0
 ----------
Looking at the previous Samuel Henson marriage at Wistow to Hanna Byard, 24th April 1679 and Samuel Henson's Will (whose Wife and Daughter were both named Mary) Proved 1716 (extract below also mentioning Samuel Hood, William Byard & Byard Rawson) there would be a link by marriage from Henson at Wistow, Yorkshire to Matthew Hood of Selby, via Byard.
 -----------
If my late Grandmother's Family Folklore was correct that we are related to [a supporter of] Charles Edward Stuart alias Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Pretender (and Dr John Burton was the relation being referred to), then my George Hood & Sarah Russell (married Selby 1815), would have to link back to Matthew Hood, Surgeon and Elizabeth (Byard) of Selby or his Hood siblings.

Added: Mentioned before Reply #605
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754247.msg6640405#msg6640405
(The Great North Road is the A1 road in recent times)

Mark

Offline veronika1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: Monday 13 February 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »
From memory, i thought the marriage record said it was my direct ancestor, Isaac Pearson, who was of Sadberge, and my direct ancestor, Elizabeth Gibson, of this Parish (Darlington)

Will my new cousin please contact me!

Veronika calling...

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: Monday 13 February 23 20:39 GMT (UK) »
From memory, i thought the marriage record said it was my direct ancestor, Isaac Pearson, who was of Sadberge, and my direct ancestor, Elizabeth Gibson, of this Parish (Darlington)

Hello Veronika

Have you got the year of the marriage to which you refer?

Some of the discussion on here relates to the marriage of Elizabeth Gibson (Spinster) aged 21 of the Chapelry of All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne, in 1779 to John Hood (Bachelor) aged 23, Mariner, per Marriage Licence & Bond.
 ----------
Other Discussion
Descent given in the Selby, Yorkshire, England, Register for
Elizabeth Gibson, born and baptised 19th / 23rd November 1800 at Selby ...
Elizabeth Gibson, First Daughter of Richard Gibson, Cooper, Son of ...
Thomas Gibson of Hall's Gates near Newcastle, Lab'r and Elizabeth his Wife Daughter of ________ Brown of Bedlington, Northumberland.

Mark

Offline veronika1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 18:33 GMT (UK) »
22 Jul 1798, Mark

Offline hilaryleach

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Quakers in Selby Camm and Proctor
« Reply #619 on: Friday 19 January 24 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Interested to read about Proctor and Camm in Selby. I live in the house owned by the Proctors on Gowthorpe. I think it was Thomas (1724-1798) who lived here and with his daughter Margaret who married Herbert Camm. On 28th Sept 1798 the house was sold to Margaret's niece Elizabeth Proctor for £350. On 24th October 1853, Elizabeth died and the house was inherited by Elizabeth's nephew Jonathan Hutchinson. When he died his brother Charles who was excutor of his will sold the house to John James York. The house was then owned by the York family, passing down the family and we bought it from them in 1999.  Around 1910 the house was split in two and frequently rented out to people. It is a very peaceful house and after a great deal of renovation which restored it to its Georgian footprint and it has become a happy family home.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: Saturday 20 January 24 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Just come across this thread.  Has anyone mentioned that although Selby has been in North Yorkshire for almost 50 years, before that it was in the WEST Riding, which was a very large county.

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/613