Author Topic: Yorkshire Robinsons pre 1830s  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yorkshire Robinsons pre 1830s
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 02:57 BST (UK) »
My husband's 2G grandfather was a tailor from Yorkshire, who emigrated to Toronto (then in Upper Canada) in 1831 with his father John Robinson, who appears to have been a widower.

The Robinson headstone says Isaac was born in Yorkshire October 16 1809. A directory published in 1885 notes that that Isaac was the eldest of the children in the family, and that he had a brother and three sisters, but gives no names for these siblings. It notes he learned his tailoring trade in Yorkshire, but we don't know if his father was a tailor. Father John Robinson is buried with the family in Toronto, and the headstone says he was born October 10 1788. There is no mention of a wife for John and we don't know her name, so we presume she died in Yorkshire prior to Isaac and John setting out for Toronto.

Isaac married in Toronto in 1832 to a Ruth Walker from Brampton, England, and their children include Mary Ann, Margaret, Mary Jane, Elizabeth Ruth, Sarah Ann, Egerton, Clara, Hannah Louise and Ellen Amelia.

So...we're looking for help finding out the name of Isaac's mother and siblings and where in specific in Yorkshire they might have been from. Despite having specific birthdates for Isaac and father John, we're stuck!

Mary Gordon
Toronto

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkshire Robinsons pre 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 14:11 BST (UK) »
Have you tried apprenticeship records?    They may show an Isaac of about the right age but Yorkshire is such a large county that I fear you may be stuck now.   I assume you have looked for any Isaac born at about the right time on the IGI but that is not full coverage.   It would be impossible to search every parish.   One possible clue is the name Egerton.  That must be a family name - perhaps the mother's maiden name so it is worth looking for a marriage of Robinson to Egerton sometime.   How annoying that they left before civil registration and the 1841 census.  When did the census start in Canada?
Andrea