Author Topic: Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's  (Read 4183 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of the Parish of St Nicholas - circa 1790's
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 21:17 BST (UK) »
Strangely enough there is a Thomas Phillip born to a David Philip and Ann registered at Newport Ebenezer(non conformist)in 1794.Seems too close in time(though baptisms not births)and geographically too distant(?).

Regards
Roger

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
It is certainly a possibility.

By the way, you mentioned earlier that you are able to determine witnesses to the marriage of Martha Phillips. Forgive me if I am being naive, but where are you able to see this information - I was aware that to see the witnesses of a marriage required actually seeing or acquiring the marriage certificate - is this possible to do online?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 August 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
I had been looking in the Fishguard area,but there is a 1799 baptism of a Thomas Philips(as transcribed) in Carew,with parents William and Jane.I am convinced the original says Phelps,but this in itself could be an original mis transcription(?)

Regards
Roger

Offline Gavin Phillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 August 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
I find a move from Carew to St Nicholas unlikely, it is a fair distance even by todays standards. Although I cant completely discount it until it is proven. I know from some research today that Thomas lived in a place called Gynon at his time of death. Gynon is a cottage in the Pwll Deri area, on the border of the parishes of St Nicholas and Llanwnda. I'm going to look through wills of the area to see if Thomas is mentioned. If that fails, I am going to shift focus to Owen Bowen and see how far back I can go on his family line.

Thanks
Gavin

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 August 16 14:23 BST (UK) »
Yes,I found Gynon(Ginon) on the map,close to Tregyddulan.

Regards
Roger

Offline Athrawesbrotaf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching the Phillips family of St Nicholas.  I believe Thomas Phillips born 1796 was my 3 x great grandfather.
Thomas had a son James born 1821 who was my 2 x great grandfather and then James had a son Thomas born 1885/6. I have order this Thomas's birth certificate today.
William Phillips born 1826 was my 3 x great uncle.
1885/86 Thomas Phillips had a son (also Thomas! ) in 1885. He was my grandfather. The family had moved to Aberdare by this time.
Re surnames: I have'nt found that surnames have changed with the generations in Pembrokeshire  as much as maybe Glamorganshire. I am not sure why I thinks this. If I find out I will let you know.