Author Topic: WELLCOAT, South Australia  (Read 5307 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WELLCOAT, South Australia
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 01:16 BST (UK) »
Problems with my CD's for the early SA Electoral Rolls :(

Australian Electoral Roll
SA 1939, 1941 Barker/ Mt Barker
WELLCOAT Emmeline Oak Avenue  Bridgewater  HD
WELLCOAT Robert  Oak Avenue Bridgewater   Steward

SA 1939, 1941 Hindmarsh/Port Adelaide
WELLCOAT Cora Isabel 9 Radstock Street,  Woodville HD
WELLCOAT Robert Philp  9 Radstock Street, Woodville   Mechanic

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 01:38 BST (UK) »

1922 Sands South Australian Directory.
YATALA
Russell St, w. side, right side from Queens St.
Wellcoat, R., chief steward.

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 02:01 BST (UK) »
Same man.  Directories are not always accurate with the information being compiled the year prior to publication.  I've found entries for a couple of ancestors in Victoria after they were both deceased.

Yatala is a parish hundred not to be confused with Yatala Vale, a suburb today.
http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=5680

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article77695332
Border Watch, Mt Gambier  12 Apr 1921
MARKET REPORTS.
SALE OF BOARDING HOUSE BUSINESS.
DeGaris, Sons, and Co., Ltd. (through their Adelaide Office) report the sale of the boarding house, business, conducted in Narracoorte by Mr F Geo MOORE for a number of years, to Mr R WELLCOAT of Gawler, who takes same over on April 21, 1921.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article89656626
The Chronicle  23 Apr 1921
WELLCOAT'S CLEARING SALE.
Matthews & Co report having conducted a small but successful clearing sale of furniture
on account of Mr. R. Wellcoat at Gawler on Tuesday last, 12th inst. There was a good attendance of buyers present and keen competition was received on all lines submitted.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, so much information in such a short space of time. That'll keep me busy for the day so thank you all very much for your contributions and time spent.
Just to avoid any duplication, I kept what I posted originally to just the Australian part, but I'll list here what I know about the family as a whole:

Parents
Joseph Wellcoat (1842-1887) and Helen Philp (1839 - 1887) died within a couple of months of each other in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Children:
Joseph (1865 -1892) died in Scotland.
Robert (1867 - 1952) - the subject of my enquiry here.
John Philp (1868 -1948) died in Scotland
Helen (b. 1871) - no idea what happened to her yet.
Catherine Philp (1873 - 1873)
William Philp (1874 -1926) died in Scotland
Mary (1876 -1876)
James Armstrong (1877 - 1931) died in Battersea, London
Elizabeth and Janet (Jennie) - twins born 1878, both sent to Canada when they were 13 having been living in an orphanage. Elizabeth died in 1935 in New Hampshire, USA and Janet in 1962 in Brockville, Ontario, Canada.

Seems like the family fell apart on the death of their parents - James Armstrong was an "inmate" in the 1891 census and as stated the twins were living in an orphanage. I've not long started with this branch of the family, hence the need to finalise certain things but hopefully I will find all I need on scotlandspeople for most of the above. Edit, have amended above with findings.

Once more, thanks for all the information given. I'm now going to make myself a coffee and process it :)
Cheers
Stuart
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline mottogirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
ote author=Stuart273 link=topic=754449.msg6037480#msg6037480 date=1472030295]
Wow, so much information in such a short space of time. That'll keep me busy for the day so thank you all very much for your contributions and time spent.
Just to avoid any duplication, I kept what I posted originally to just the Australian part, but I'll list here what I know about the family as a whole:

Parents
Joseph Wellcoat (1842-1887) and Helen Philp (1839 - 1887) died within a couple of months of each other in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Children:
Mary (1876 -1876)
Elizabeth and Janet (Jennie) - twins born 1878, both sent to Canada when they were 13 having been living in an orphanage. Elizabeth died in 1935 in New Hampshire, USA and Janet in 1962 in Brockville, Ontario, Canada.

Seems like the family fell apart on the death of their parents - James Armstrong was an "inmate" in the 1891 census and as stated the twins were living in an orphanage. I've not long started with this branch of the family, hence the need to finalise certain things but hopefully I will find all I need on scotlandspeople for most of the above. Edit, have amended above with findings.

Once more, thanks for all the information given. I'm now going to make myself a coffee and process it :)
Cheers
Stuart
[/quote]

Offline mottogirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Wellcoat family mentioned and am interested in where you fit into the family tree. I live in Australia and am keen to gather and share info
ote author=Stuart273 link=topic=754449.msg6037480#msg6037480 date=1472030295]

Parents

Children:
Mary (1876 -1876)

Cheers
Stuart
[/quote]

Offline mottogirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:16 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Wellcoat family via my mother.

The following are the names of  Wellcoat's living in SA that I am aware of
Joseph Wellcoat born 1842 Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland married Mary Philp born 1836 same place as husband.
There son Robert born 1867 Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland married Emmeline Simpson born 1870 Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
There son Robert born 1910 Exeter, Adelaide, South Australia married Cora Isabel Williams born 1911
There children are Barrie born 1938 and Elizabeth 1941.
I have an extensive Wellcoat tree and are happy to share other information. Where do you fit into the family?

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 August 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there.
Thanks for the information. I did send you a personal message earlier on in the year but in case you didn't get it....
Ok, so in a nutshell:
Back in the 1800s the "original" Wellcoat (Joseph 1842-87) married Mary Philp (1839-87). Mary had a brother William (c.1841-1905) who was my 2nd Gt Grandfather. I can bring the Philp line forward for you if you like, and I've also done a lot of research into the Wellcoats, which I'm happy to share.
Cheers
Stuart
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline mottogirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 05:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Your William Philp married Isabella Smith and I would love any further information you have on the Philp side. My Philp side goes to William 1777 who married Catherine Bell and although I have names I don't have accurate date of births, so anything you can help with would be great. I have a fair bit on the Wellcoat side and am obviously happy to fill in any gaps you may have.