Author Topic: Bacon - Selston & Worksop  (Read 2665 times)

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bacon - Selston & Worksop
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 08:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning. The 1901 census shows Charles Bacon aged 30, b Selston, Notts, a coal miner, living at Wilson's Fields Caravan with his wife Charlotte. Charlotte was aged 42 and was born in Barrow-on-Soar, Leics.

In 1891 Charles was living at "Caravan, Sand Hill", Worksop with his parents William and Emily and siblings including a sister named Parthenia.

I think Charlotte might belong to one of my husband's families, does anyone have any information about this couple or family.

Thanks

Judith

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bacon - Selston & Worksop
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Judith
1881 census RG11 3323 Folio 72 page 20
Charles Bacon with siblings inc Parthinia living with grandparent Harry Bacon widower 61 a farmer of 13 acres at Selston born Essex
William Bacon 40 labourer born London with wife Emily 38 born Selston.
1871 census RG10 3479 folio 54 page 27 Selston
 Boffits Farm - Henry Bacon 51 farmer wife Hannah 61 granddaughter Hannah 2
1861 census RG9 2432 folio 11 page 18 Selston
Dog Kennels - Henry Bacon 41 farmer 20 acres. wife Hannah 50
William Bacon son 19 un farmers son

Marriage 1867 William Bacon March quarter 7b 263
on the same page Emily Elliot

Marriage William Bacon 1869 Dec Quarter 7b 251 Basford
on the same page Emily Frost . This I think is favourite
see 1861 census RG9 2503 folio 108 page 12

A bit late, just browsing, my mum came from Selston

oly from Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 05 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks oly,

Bit late in replying, cos it's not been showing that I've had any replies at the top of the page!

This Charlotte is a mystery. There's only one Charlotte b Barrow on Soar in 1858/9 and I've followed her through the census from 1861 under her single and married names as far as 1891 just after she married her 2nd husband. No trace of her death and no trace of a Charlotte born ca 1858 in Barrow in the 1901 census, apart from this Charlotte Bacon who doesn't appear anywhere else. I'm wondering if she left her husband and went off with this younger man and they weren't married........

Another of genealogy's little mysteries!

Best wishes

Judith in Leeds

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Well I'm still on the trail of a Charlotte Emily born around the late 1850s-early 1860s in Barrow on Soar, Leics. (See earlier posts in this thread.)

The 1911 census shows her still living with this Charles Bacon as his wife, this time as a Van Dweller on Waste Ground at Hawthorn Street, Nottingham. It states they've been married for 17 years, which would make it around 1894. There are a couple of marriages for a Charles Bacon in '93 and '94 but I can't check the spouse, and if this is the same woman then I think her husband was still alive anyway! If I've found the right person then he appears to be in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses, lodging in his home county of Warwickshire and stating that he's married.

The mystery continues and any help would be appreciated.

Judith

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
There are 10 Charles BACON marriages scattered around the country in 1893 and 1894. 

The only one with Charlotte for a wife was in June 1894.
Paddington ref 1a 50

She was Charlotte Lizzie GIBBONS.

I think you will have to buy the certificate to find out any more information about her.

NC. 

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks. It's definitely Charlotte Emily in the 1911 census.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bacon Family Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
 in this link below from the Rootschat archives the people are  talking about the Bacons first coming from down the south,  can anyone help in confirming that these researchers are not getting the Bacons on the records they find mixed up, I have found several Bacons with the same name in the same time scale and locations, will there be anyone who can confirm these records below relate to the People I am reserching , what I mean is did the Bacons first come from down the south, is there anyone who would help

Bacon - Selston & Worksop
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 08:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning. The 1901 census shows Charles Bacon aged 30, b Selston, Notts, a coal miner, living at Wilson's Fields Caravan with his wife Charlotte. Charlotte was aged 42 and was born in Barrow-on-Soar, Leics.

In 1891 Charles was living at "Caravan, Sand Hill", Worksop with his parents William and Emily and siblings including a sister named Parthenia.

I think Charlotte might belong to one of my husband's families, does anyone have any information about this couple or family.
Thanks
Judith

« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Judith
1881 census RG11 3323 Folio 72 page 20
Charles Bacon with siblings inc Parthinia living with grandparent Harry Bacon widower 61 a farmer of 13 acres at Selston born Essex
William Bacon 40 labourer born London with wife Emily 38 born Selston.
1871 census RG10 3479 folio 54 page 27 Selston
 Boffits Farm - Henry Bacon 51 farmer wife Hannah 61 granddaughter Hannah 2
1861 census RG9 2432 folio 11 page 18 Selston
Dog Kennels - Henry Bacon 41 farmer 20 acres. wife Hannah 50
William Bacon son 19 un farmers son

Marriage 1867 William Bacon March quarter 7b 26on the same page Emily Elliot

The 1911 census shows her still living with this Charles Bacon as his wife, this time as a Van Dweller on Waste Ground at Hawthorn Street, Nottingham. It states they've been married for 17 years, which would make it around 1894. There are a couple of marriages for a Charles Bacon in '93 and '94 but I can't check the spouse, and if this is the same woman then I think her husband was still alive anyway! If I've found the right person then he appears to be in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses, lodging in his home county of Warwickshire and stating that he's married.

The mystery continues and any help would be appreciated.

Judith

then I found these   small extracts from larger information dated from the 1920s , this maybe could be who the Lady above was looking for

Tuesday 02 March 1920
  Nottingham Evening Post

A BASFORD APPOINTMENT
... Defense. Mr. H. B. Clayton said Bacon was a demobilized soldier who had been wounded and gassed and could not follow his employment as a miner. Was only able to earn about a pound a week as a scrap iron dealer. The cause of the trouble was Mrs. Bacon's betting

Wednesday 03 March 1920
  Nottingham Journal

HER THREE HUSBANDS
Unusual matrimonial tangle   Charlotte Bacon,  Meadows, Nottingham, charged her husband, Charles Bacon,   Hawthorne street, Nottingham, with desertion Mr. R. A. Young     
  she was married to a man named Black, who died she then married a man named Storer

Tuesday 02 March 1920
 Nottingham Evening Post

A BASFORD APPOINTMENT
... Magistrates the Nottingham Summons Court today, when Charlotte Bacon, 66, Cremorne-street, applied for maintenance order on the grounds of desertion against her husband,  Charles Bacon, 51, of Hawthorne-street, Meadows. Mr. R. A. Young, for the applicant said she was married to a man named Black, and he died in 1889. Shortly after she married a man named Storer, and he left her

I have been relooking at the old maps and Cremorne street it is next to Hawthorne street, again and again the same solicitor's names keep coming up on records, just by tracing them much information about many Family's may be found