Author Topic: 1841 census  (Read 1619 times)

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
  • Martha Murray 1920-1990
    • View Profile
1841 census
« on: Thursday 25 August 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a Jones family (there is talk father was a Baptist minister) from Holyhead (Caergeiliog) After years of thinking my husbands GG grandma was a Williams I now have proof she was a Jones. Sarah was born in 1837 or 1838, so somewhere there should be a Sarah Jones about 4 years old in 1841. 
Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi am I correct Sarah married a Samuel Higgins in June qtr 1856 Liverpool 8b 254 on 1881 shows her age as 43 b Caergeiliog.

Marriage certificate would give her father?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 16 19:32 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the one, I was hoping to find the church records but was informed by Liverpool archives that the records from the church they had been married where destroyed in the Blitz.  So its either finding the family on the census that would be better as it would give me any possible siblings or apply to the GRO.
Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
There is a birth registration for Sarah daughter of William Jones and Margaret Roberts born 23 Sep 1837, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll. Caergeiliog could be included in Llanfair-yn-Neubwll or Bodedern.

I cannot find her in 1841 but, in 1851, there is a family in London Road, Holyhead which includes:

Sarah Jones, 13, b. Llanfair, Anglesey
Margaret Jones, 41, Printer's wiife, b. Llandyfrydog, Anglesey
Alice Jones, 4, b. Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey
The father/head is not at home but there are six other children listed with ages ranging from 21 to 2. (HO107, 2522, 513, 9)

There is a birth registration for Alice daughter of William Jones and Margaret Roberts born 21 Jun 1847, Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll indicating that William Jones is the father absent from the 1851 census above.

Is this a candidate for your Sarah Jones?
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
Its a possibility as there are notes my mum in law made in the 1980's saying that the family was related to the Harbour Master in Holyhead who had the surname Roberts.  I am a bit thrown by the name Alice as a sister as most of the Higgins family who Sarah married into are all called after family members and I have no Alice's at all. Does it list names of the other children?
I also found this  for a baptism but the Sarah here would have been a few years old:                County   Anglesey
Place   Llanfaelog
Church name   St Maelog
Register type   Parish Register
Baptism date   26 May 1839
Person forename   Sarah
Father forename   William
Father surname   JONES
Mother forename   Margaret

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi am I correct Sarah married a Samuel Higgins in June qtr 1856 Liverpool 8b 254 on 1881 shows her age as 43 b Caergeiliog.

Marriage certificate would give her father?
Keyboard86

Hi thought I would point out that living next door to Samuel and Sarah in 1881 (on the original) is a Margaret Jones 71 Widower b Fordsham/Frodsham, Cheshire with Son Joseph 47 occ Baptist Minister and daughter Alice 35
RG11/5594/143/14

They can be traced back to a William Jones 53 and Margaret 51 with family at Book Seller Shop, 13, London Road, Holyhead in 1861
Census Ref RG09/4373/66/20

And William could be the lodger in 1851  aged 45 with a William Roberts occ Baptist Minister & Family in Aberystruth
Census Ref HO107/2447/352/15

1841 Census:-

William 32 occ Book Binder b Anglesey
Margaret 30
Elizabeth 10
Joseph 8 b Anglesey
Margaret 6 b Anglesey
Sarah 3 b Anglesey
William 10 months
Residing at Toll Bar, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Bangor & Beaumaris
Census Ref HO107/1363/ 8/10 / 14

EDIT as a matter of interest Samuel & Sarah did have a Charlotte ALICE Higgins b 1870 Llanberis, Caernarvonshire?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
I also found these, which seem relevant.

Death registration:

Margaret Jones, 71, died 1 Aug 1882 at London Road, Holyhead - widow of auctioneer & printer William Jones. Informant Ann Parry, daughter, London Road, Holyhead.

and marriage:

Anne Jones, 30, spinster of 19 London Road, Holyhead, daughter of William Jones, Baptist Minister (deceased) and Richard Pryce Parry, 27, bachelor, Engine Driver, 19 London Road, Holyhead, son of Pryce Parry, railway guard were married 30 Jul 1879 at Bethel Baptist Chapel, Edmund St, Holyhead.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
This may be the registration of the death of William Jones:

10 May 1878 at Sutherland House, Holyhead - William Jones, 71, Baptist minister. Informant Margaret Williams, same address.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much, that is seemingly our family. I started the family trees in 2000 and put an awful lot together from my mum in laws notes and those that where carried on by my sister in law. I stopped all my searches after the death of my own father in 2008. In the last few weeks quite by chance I ended up in contact with two members of the Higgins family (one who I briefly had contact with before my dad died) and my interest was piqued again.
In my mum in laws hand written notes she had a small piece at the side with a question mark by Sarah's name saying baptist ministers daughter. So much she wrote I have now proved true, I wish she was still here to be able to tell.  The family reaches all the way to Australia, now all I need to do is get a new PC and up to date family tree maker so I can add all this new information, again thanks to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to look these up for us  ;D   Oh and yes thank you for finding the Alice in the name, I do have Charlotte in the tree but only as Charlotte A Higgins! Our granddaughter is a Charlotte too :)