Author Topic: xxx admiralty?  (Read 696 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
xxx admiralty?
« on: Friday 26 August 16 15:15 BST (UK) »
I have just one word which defeats me ... and I must say I've no idea what the actual job was. This is from the 1851 census and it's obviously 'Receiver General ..... Admiralty'. Any thoughts anyone??
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: xxx admiralty?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 August 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Which town or county was this from please?

Was he a civil servant  working for the government   or the Duchy of Cornwall?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 August 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
he appears to be an accountant of some sort.

If you stick "Receiver General Admiralty" into Google, the first reference you get is:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6246319

Full title looks like Receiver General of Droits and Perquisites, and references underneath are to do with audits
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 16 15:36 BST (UK) »

Receiver General of Droits of Admiralty
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 16 16:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks! And this was for someone who lives in Bedford ... a bit weird considering it's not exactly a seaside resort. Wiki tells me this, from the 1911 Britannica:

This refers to certain customary rights or perquisites, formerly belonging to the Lord High Admiral, but now to the crown, for public purposes and paid into the Exchequer. These droits (see also wreck) consisted of flotsam, jetsam, ligan - (goods or wreckage on the sea bed that is attached to a buoy so that it can be recovered), treasure, deodand, derelict (maritime), within the admiral's jurisdiction; all fines, forfeitures, ransoms, recognizances and pecuniary punishments; all sturgeons, whales, porpoises, dolphins, grampuses and such large fishes; all ships and goods of the enemy coming into any creek, road or port, by durance or mistake; all ships seized at sea, salvage, etc., with the share of prizes such shares being afterwards called "tenths", in imitation of the French, who gave their admiral a droit de dixième.

Sounds like a wonderful job to have with lots of opportunities for the odd 'large fish' or 'ship of the enemy' to slip through the official net ...
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);