Author Topic: Mother and baby home run by nuns in Southampton during the 70s  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Jo Purcell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and baby home run by nuns in Southampton during the 70s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching a lot this evening for information about where I was born. Nazareth House Southampton in 1968. Then I found this conversation after all I could find was an old house pre 1940 when it was burnt down and a new house was built in 1950 something..but I can't find a picture. I have no actual birth relatives left to ask! I have always been intrigued by the stories I was told... Strangely enough, i work helping to train care staff in care homes in the Southampton area and will be going up there soon.. Just doing some research before the big day! I think the national archives seem like the best way forward as they have publications from Nazareth house you can order by the looks of things? Ill carry on my search! I was told that I was born in a connecting hospital, and not in the house itself. Would that have been done usually? If so does anyone know which hospital? I wish I had paid more attention to my Nan.. Im sure it began with an H!

Offline Kerf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and baby home run by nuns in Southampton during the 70s
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 August 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was in Nazareth House in the 70s, at the age of 15 and I loved the house along with the nuns. They were very kind to me, as were the other girls there. I enjoyed my stay. Would there be anyone on here that was there at the time.