Author Topic: Offence against 251 clause of the G. P. Act  (Read 2925 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Offence against 251 clause of the G. P. Act
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
The 'steam residue' one has got me a bit puzzled I can understand the smoke residue - that one sounds like you need your lum cleaned. When I was a kid and you put your lum up so many times your name went in the Dundee Telegraph - oh the shame :-[  I think my dad put ours up twice - then we had a gas fire fitted!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
The precise wording (including the unusual use of capitals) of the offence for which a constable may lock you up is -

"Every Person who shall discharge any Smoke or Steam from any Premises (otherwise than from the Top thereof) into any such Street, or suffer or permit the condensed Water or Moisture from any Steam Pipe, Flue or Funnel to fall into or upon such Street:"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 September 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
So dripping water!  ;D ;D ;D
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
So dripping water!  ;D ;D ;D

Not Quite ....  :P  ;D

Basically it was an offence to discharge steam/steam residue/ smoke etc unless from  a chimney or vent at roof level where such measures as required for the dispersal were in place.
Think of it more as fledgeling Health & Safety legislation  ::)

PS. This was still an offence in 1892 when this legislation was replaced by the Burgh Police (Scotland)  Act 1892 which itself introduced a few more "offences" which would raise eyebrows today

Offline HysterySleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that djct59 or someone else can tell me to what offences Clause 345 of the General Practices Act pertained. Great Great Grandfather was guilty in Fraserburgh 1886. Go ahead and tell me; I can take it. 🙃
Ingram, Simpson, Bruce, Lee, Walls, Guthrie, Craigen, & Scott in Aberdeenshire;  Swanston, Dougal, Maltman, Purves, Angus, Black, Millar, Anderson, & Brodie in Berwickshire. Aird, Denoon, McKenzie, Laing, & Barbour in Highlands Ross & Cromarty & Invernesshire.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Clause 345 of the 1862 Act made it an offence, punishable by a fine of up to ten shillings, of allowing your chimney to catch fire (unless you could prove this was not due to omission, neglect or carelessness on your part or that of your servant). You also had to pay the expenses incurred in putting out the fire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 21:34 GMT (UK) »
They could have simplified things by making it an offence to do anything anyone objected to  ;D
What a good idea! I can think of hundreds of things I would make illegal just by objecting to them :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HysterySleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 01:46 GMT (UK) »
So here is the irony of my 2xGreat Grandfather being found guilty of offending Clause 345 of the G. P. Act,  allowing his chimney to catch fire in the winter of 1886 Fraserburgh. He was fined 2/6 or order to spend 1 day in jail. He paid £9 2 and 6, which I suppose is the cost of putting out the fire? 
However, he was the keeper of the Fraserburgh jail! Either way, he was spending the night there. So I can picture him toting his bedroll to the cell for the night and telling the rest to move over some. :-)

Thank you, djct59, for the prompt reply!
Ingram, Simpson, Bruce, Lee, Walls, Guthrie, Craigen, & Scott in Aberdeenshire;  Swanston, Dougal, Maltman, Purves, Angus, Black, Millar, Anderson, & Brodie in Berwickshire. Aird, Denoon, McKenzie, Laing, & Barbour in Highlands Ross & Cromarty & Invernesshire.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
The offending steam might, mixed with smoke, condense on a cold day & land on the washing. Folk living next to the railway had this problem.

Skoosh.