Author Topic: Great Redisham / Redisham - Tithe Map - MAYHEW  (Read 556 times)

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Redisham / Redisham - Tithe Map - MAYHEW
« on: Tuesday 30 August 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
If anyone has access to the Tithe map for the parish of Great Redisham or Redisham (date probably 1840s) I would be grateful if they can look up what was owned or tenanted by Michael Mayhew (1787-1870).  He was one of the sons of John Mayhew (1747-1823), of whom several were farmers, but Michael seems to be the one who succeeded to his father's farm. [Elias (1785-1860) farmed in the Norfolk part of Mendham, Robert (1795-1831) (my ggg-gf) in Walpole.]

Any relevant information - or advice on how to find the exact farm of an ancestor when one only knows their dates and parish - will be welcome.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Great Redisham / Redisham - Tithe Map - MAYHEW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 12:14 BST (UK) »
Until you get a look at the Tithe map (and presumably the Apportionment book for Redisham), Old-Maps has an 1884 map with many farm marked at
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01id3/

SM
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  old-maps seems to require a subscription, but the national Library of Scotland has the 1904 25" map available free (I strongly recommend the NLS maps site!, and not just for Scotland).

I suppose I may be able to identify Michael Mayhew's farm from the censuses, I'd still like to see the tithe map.  Is there anywhere other than Suffolk Record Office or National Archives likely to have it?
[I've seen plenty of reproductions of tithe maps reproduced for particular parishes, but don't know whether there's generally just one original or many.]

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
I don't have a subscription to Old-maps, but I do look at maps on there all the time.

Assume from your comments that you already know the plot numbers of the fields etc as you do not mention the Apportionment book. Suffolk RO will have copies, it might be available at Lowestoft, should be at Ipswich. Not sure when I will next be going along, but I always check that what I want to see is available and order up before I visit.

SM ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no, I don't know the numbers of his holdings.  The nearest I've got is on the tithe map search on the Genealogist website, which gives 33 results for Michael Mayhew in Redisham, which I think suggests quite a large farm (or farms?).

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
Ah, in that case you will need to order up the Apportionment book with the Tithe map, it should give you the names of the owner and tenant corresponding to the numbers of the fields/parcels of land on the actual map.

I have just checked the SLHC website to see if there is a Local History Recorder in Redisham, unfortunately there is a vacancy for one at the moment.

When I was a LHR I had a copy of the Tithe map and I noted all the landowners and tenants from visits to the SRO so I could help people looking for ancestors in my parish. When we moved house I left my archive for the new LHR.

As the map may well be at two of the three ROs in the county, if anyone is going along they may be able to carry out a look up for you.

SM ...

I have to find two more!

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 16 07:14 BST (UK) »
I've taken an `introductory offer' 4-month subscription to The Genealogist, which has recently put all tithe maps in England online; its lookups are slick, with original apportionment books and maps (in black and white) easy to look at. [They're working on colour maps.]  Sadly but understandably they're very strict about NOT using one's subscription to do lookups for others.

Anyway, I found Michael Mayhew as owner of a little over 50 acres on the border of Redisham with Westhall; his farmhouse isn't named, but comparison suggests it was Red House Farm on Halesworth Road.

Now to look at tithe maps for other relatives, particularly Cumberland and Cornwall where I've got other farming ancestors....

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 September 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant dmollison, well done.
I did look in my copies of White's, Redisham being a small parish has a small listing, unfortunately without the farm names, it just reads in 1844 copy, Michael Mahew (sic), farmer.
Again, in my 1855 original book, it shows the same, Redisham (Great) Farmers ... Michael Mayhew ...

SM ...

I have to find two more!