Author Topic: Elizabeth Robertson or Arbuthnot  (Read 1296 times)

Offline DottyC123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Robertson or Arbuthnot
« on: Tuesday 30 August 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat and wonder if anyone can help me with a problem which is baffling me? My great grandmother was Jane Agnes McCallum, born 1875 in Doncaster to Dugald McCallum and Elizabeth Robertson (according to her birth and death certs). I can trace a family in Glasgow through the 1851 to 1911 Scottish census reports and the 1881 English census reports which states her as being English and the other children born in Scotland. The 1911 census says Elizabeth born 1844 in Dundee and I found birth cert in OPRs. The second son born was William Robertson McCallum. Now here's the complicated part. All the other children to this family have Elizabeth Arbuthnot registered as their mother, apart from William and Jane. These two siblings are not together in age, so it would seem unlikely to be another marriage. There is no record of marriage between Dugald and Eliz Robertson but there is one between him and Eliz Arbuthnot. Also Jane named one of her sons Albert Arbuthnot Kelly! Don't think Eliz married twice. Is it possible she might change her name for whatever reason? Would welcome any help. Thanks!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Robertson or Arbuthnot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dotty,

Can you list all children by name & surname/yrs of birth/where born, in order please to help?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:40 BST (UK) »
Here is the family in 1881:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27Y-P22G

I think that William is an apprentice boarder in Scotland in 1881.

...and 1891 in Glasgow

(Parish: Glasgow Govan; ED: 48; Page: 6; Line: 24; Roll: CSSCT1891_299)

Dugald McCALLUM, 51, born Greenock, Renfrewshire, Occ. Smith
Lizzie, 47, born Dundee
Lizzie , 22
Daniel, 20
Mary, 18
Jane, 16
Dugald, 6

Children born Glasgow except for Jane who is born in England.

What are the details of Elizabeth's parents and father's occupation on the ROBERTSON baptism, ARBUTHNOT marriage, and her McCALLUM death registration? 

Debra  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:50 BST (UK) »
But......where is;

"The second son born was William Robertson McCallum"?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 02:54 BST (UK) »
Dundee,

Is William born between Jane & Dugald?

Nothing from OP with any dates?

Annie

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 03:13 BST (UK) »
He was the first son, not the second, or did the first die?

Glasgow
(Parish: Glasgow St John; ED: 73; Page: 6; Line: 23; Roll: CSSCT1871_126)

Dugald McCALLUM, 33, born Greenock, Renfrewshire, Occ. Iron Forger
Elizabeth, 27, born Dundee
Sarah, 6
William, 5
Elizabeth, 2
Daniel, 6

Ages aren't quite right. Bad transcription, Daniel should be 6 months.

Debra  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 03:21 BST (UK) »
I think I have unravelled it.

In both her marriage and death certificates Elizabeth's parents are given as David Arbuthnot and Mary nee Burnet/t.   But there is no marriage between this pair not can I find under Arbuthnot or Robertson a baptism for Elizabeth naming her mother as Mary Burnett.   I don't know if you are aware but it was commonplace in Scotland for illegitimate children to use the surname of their natural father.

However, I did find the marriage of a William Robertson, Labourer to Mary Burnet 21/11/1846 Dunfermline - no status is given for either of them.

1851 Census - Liff & Benvie, Forfarshire (Angus)

William Robertson   33      born Edinburgh
Mary Robertson 33           born Leuchars, Fife
Mary Robertson 11           born Dundee
Elizabeth Robertson 9           ditto
Andrew Robertson  1        born Liff

Come 1861 there are possible entries for Mary and her sister Elizabeth now working, no trace of the parents and the Andrew Robertson appears as an orphan - I can't find him after 1861.    Nor can I trace his baptism either.   Particularly wanted to find that as wanted to see his mother was indeed Mary Burnet.   So, can't find baptisms for any of Mary's 3 children.

So, it would seem that Elizabeth's mother and stepfather both died between 1851 and 1861 - and also how her surname was both Arbuthnot and Robertson in the birth records of her children.   One her natural fathers name and the other her stepfathers name.

The absence of baptisms continues as I cannot find an entry for Mary Burnet either.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 03:28 BST (UK) »
Good sleuthing Annette!

Why though would she chop & change her name with the children within the marriage?

Seems a wee bit strange...did she forget what surname she used when she married?

Annie

Offline DottyC123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
Wow! Can't believe I got such a quick reply! Been going round in circles for months on this one as couldn't work out how Eliz could have two surnames. I have today found a marriage on Scotland's People for David Arbuthnot and Mary Burnett in Montrose on 31 Jan 1841 (OPR. Marriages 312/00 0110 0294 Montrose), so think perhaps Eliz's maiden name was, in fact, Arbuthnot. However, it looks likely her mother married again in 1846 to William Robertson when Elizabeth would only be around 2. Possibly Eliz and her older sister, Mary, were both children of David Arbuthnot and Andrew, their brother, born around 1850, was William's son. The girls may have taken on their stepfather's surname for convenience sake. Does this seem plausible, Annette? Thank you all for your experience and for taking the time to help me. I'm so pleased!!