Author Topic: KOSB photos from India 1930's. Is your relation one of these?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline RIDGE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KOSB photos from India 1930's. Is your relation one of these?
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Grandad John Ridge was in the 1st battalion KOSB. I have some old black and white photos of his friends taken in India from around the mid 1930's and wondered if anyone might be looking for a photo of a long lost ancestor. Some have their army no. and some just names and places.
Here are the details:-

3187189 MOORE(looks like a J) old address MRS R MOORE BELL PLACE GALLOWGATE GLASGOW
VALLANCE DEC'D SEPT 1928 DEPOT
ALFIE RHODES-INDIA
PADDY DOCHERTY-back mentions these details 31861555 BRADLEY J B COY SGT but he's not on
GINGER KENNEDY- INDIA 1936
JOHN MAHONEY
TOMMY COYLE
JAKE TAYLOR
JOHN OWENS
TIM FLANNAGAN
VINCENT QUINN-DUNDEE
JOHN SPELLMAN
D WISHART
JOHN MURPHY
CAFFERTY
COLLINS
BURGESS
BRANMAN
JIMMIE McLAUGHLAN-INDIA 1936

Finally, there is a photo of KOSB B Coy football team from the mid 1930's.

If any of these names ring a bell then please let me know as it would be nice to reunite someone with a photo of their long lost ancestor. I'm sure my Grandad would like that too.

Carolynn

Offline Artasuli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KOSB photos from India 1930's. Is your relation one of these?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn, I think the Tommy coyle you mention was my great uncle who served with the kosb. We're unsure of the dates but perhaps if we see the photo it will help narrow things down. I would lobe to see it if you would be kind enough to email it.
Kind regards
Gillian

Offline RIDGE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian, I've attached a photo of three KOSB soldiers. The one in he middle sat down is my Grandad John Ridge and on the back of the photo it says two names. They are John Mahoney & Tommy Coyle. I guess that means Tommy is on the right as you look at it. My Grandad joined the KOSB aged 19 in 1928 so I guess that's when this photo was taken. My Grandad was from Glasgow so I wonder if Tommy was from there or perhaps they all joined up around the same time. I do know that my Grandad ended up serving in India and later on he was at Dunkirk.
Hope you enjoy the photo. Regards Carolynn

Offline Artasuli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn
Thank you for sharing the photo. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've had computer trouble.
I've shared the photo with some family members and we are unsure if it is our uncle.  I would love to say that it is and  the dates tally. We've received some info from the ksob and  Uncle tommy joined in 1928, he would have been 20 then. He served in India in a place called Puna or Poona something like that.  He was Irish but had been living in Glasgow for a while before signing up. He left KSOB in 1936 and went to the reserves, signing up again in 1939 and getting to Dunkirk. He moved to the military police in 1944. It's entirely possible that he would've known your grandfather.  Would be interesting to know if he took a similar path.  He survived the war but ended up in Erskine hospital for veterans as a double amputee dying in 1981.
Anyway I'm sure I've gone on long enough her. Thanks again, Gillian