Author Topic: George Soloman Crocker marriage information  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Trissy48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Soloman Crocker marriage information
« on: Thursday 01 September 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to track down details of the marriage of my great great grandfather George Solomon Crocker. None of the online searches I have done on ancestry websites throw any light on the matter. Although the genealogical research I have seen from others who have looked into him offers a few suggestions I am averse to trust in them just yet without any corroborating evidence.

Here are the sketchy details I have gathered from census and online searches.
- George Solomon Crocker was born in Saint Martin in 1851 to Solomon Crocker and Elizabeth Brée. I cannot find any baptism information for him although two of his younger siblings were baptised in Guernsey after the family had moved there in the mid 1850s.
- He married his spouse Emma in Jersey in roughly 1871 going from the information they provided in the 1911 census. I frustratingly do not know Emma's maiden name; I have seen suggestions on ancestry websites but as I say I don't want to place too much faith in them at this stage.
- a marriage in 1871 would also tie in with the birth of their first child George in Jersey in 1873. All all their subsequent children were born in Aberdare, Wales after after the family moved there in the mid 1870s.
- as Emma is not listed living with George Solomon and his parents in the census of 1851 it's possible that the marriage took place after that (so after the 2nd of April).

As I say the information is a bit sketchy and I am sorry I cannot add any more details at this stage. If anybody could shed some further light on this for me I would be immensely grateful to them. I have been tracing my mother's family ties from Dorset to the Channel Islands and finally to Wales and this is one of the fuzzy links I would love to be able to clarify for her.

Thanks
Tristan

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Soloman Crocker marriage information
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 September 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
A birth certificate from one of the children born in Wales would provide a maiden name for Emma.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 16 21:58 BST (UK) »
On the 1881 census there is a Mary Hopkins widower age 69 boarder - could she be anything to do with Emma family wise?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
The marriage of George Solomon Crocker is recorded in the index for St Saviour's Church between Jan 1872 and Nov 1874, the entry is on page 2. Also on page 2 of the same index is an Emma Le Maistre, there are no other Emmas on page 2 so I imagine this was his wife.

I can double check next week.

Offline Trissy48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 September 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much! I hadn't thought of looking at a birth certificate for one of their children. As I am ordering a copy of my great grandfather Elias' marriage certificate I shall order his birth certificate at the same time and with a bit of luck that will corroborate the details from the church records.

I also didn't think of checking into Mary Hopkins. From a quick search I can find various Mary Hopkins in Jersey but none who list their birth in the census as Aberdare, and I can find various Mary Hopkins born in Aberdare but with no apparent connection to Jersey. It was a good idea though and it wouldn't have occurred to me.

I shall let you know what it says on the birth certificate when I get hold of a copy

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
I saw a name similar to Emma Le Maistre on a census when I was looking for possible Emma's so will see if I can find it again.

Yes please do let us know what the certificate says, it's nice to know how these things turn out  :)
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
Here it is 1861

Phillipe La Balestri 46
Margaret Galhchan 48
Phillipe Labalester 18 son
Ann " 13 daughter
Amma " 9 niece born St Helier Jersey
Elizabeth Paskins 2 niece

As you can see there have been some problems transcribing the names but Amma can certainly be read as Emma Le Maistre.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same girl in 1871 as she is only 15  :-\

Ann Lemaistre 51 widow lodging house keeper
Thomas 30
Annie 20
Emma 15
Louisa 11
Winter 10

One or other of the Emma's may be right or both or neither!  Will wait for your certificate  :D
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census fits in with this St Helier baptism,

Birth 21 Dec 1851
Bap 01/02/1852
Name Emma
Father Philippe Le Maistre (Carpenter)
Mother Jane Sophie Gallichan
Godparents Father and Mother

Jane Sophie Gallichan, born St Saviour 1827, was the daughter of Jean (John) Gallichan and Marie Starck originally of the parish of Trinity.

Jean Gallichan was born in 1796 in Trinity, he had a sister Marguerite (Margaret) born in 1809.

Marguerite Gallichan married Philippe Larbalastier in Trinity in 1834 which brings us neatly back to the 1861 census. (It was not unusual in Jersey for women to retain their maiden names for official documents - and apparently lie about their ages!)