Author Topic: John Johnston of Ballymacarrett (1780-1823)  (Read 786 times)

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Johnston of Ballymacarrett (1780-1823)
« on: Friday 02 September 16 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!
The above JJ was my great x2 grandfather's brother.  He was born about 1780 in Dublin, son of Benjamin Johnston & Catherine nee Graydon.  I don't know when he moved north... apparently he was in the Linen Trade with his cousin Jonathan Sisson, I have never been able to confirm this.
He married a girl called Anne or Anna, perhaps in Dublin , perhaps in Belfast - I have never been able to find her maiden name nor the marriage...  She died in 1820 and is buried in Clifton St cemetery, Belfast (there is no detail of her maiden name).  They had a son John born about 1815 but I have no other information.  Their daughter Anna married Rev Benjamin Maturin .  Another daughter Margaret died young. 
John married secondly Agnes Gemmill in Rosemary St Presbyterian Church Belfast in 1823.  He died in 1833 and is buried in Clifton St.
I realise that I have quite a lot of info but I would really like to find John's first marriage & his wife's maiden name ... and something about his son John ...
Many thanks in advance for your help, Liz Augereau

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Johnston of Ballymacarrett (1780-1823)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
For reference- Clifton St. (Upper Ground) http://www.cliftonstreetcemetery.com/
LOT 44-45 JOHNSTON
Erected to the memory of Anna Johnston Wife of John Johnston Merchant Belfast She died on the 3rd of May 1820 Aged 31 years Also Margaret their beloved Daughter She died on the 10th July 1821 Aged 5 years The body of the above John Johnston Departed this life [ ] aged [ ] years
LOT 75 GEMMELL
Erected by Mary E.C. Johnston
in memory of her dear Mother Agnes ( Gemmell ) who fell asleep in Jesus 12th June 1845 Mary E.C. Johnston the beloved Wife of Surgeon J. Millford Barnett M.D. H.M. Indian Army died at Croft House Holywood 16th Feb 1875 AE 44 "Blessed are the dead which died in the Lord"  Rev XIV 13 Inscripted by her bereaved Husband

Burial Register: 1833 February 13-: John Johnston  Gentleman  Ballymacarrett
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Just found your previous topic asking for the same information in 2013  ::)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=663565.msg5089777#msg5089777
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
The Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 18 Feb 1833, carried a very impressive tribute to John Johnston, Ballymacarrett, died age 53. Unfortunately, it included no biographical details.

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all that ... I know I posted the same request a while ago, but really I was just hoping that with all the genealogical progress recently, there might be a more clues come to light!
How can I access the Belfast Commercial Chronicle ?
Liz