Author Topic: Help uploading a folder of photos to google+ album  (Read 1142 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Help uploading a folder of photos to google+ album
« on: Friday 02 September 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
I go to the NSW records office to photograph probates and divorces for rootschatters.  After each visit I  have about 18 folders each with  about 30-40 photos  (one folder for each probate/divorce/intestate etc).

On my old (now deceased  :( ) windows8 laptop, I used picasa to upload each folder into a google photo album and could then share and send a link to the person requesting the record.

My new laptop has windows10 and apparently picasa has now been discontinued and I should use google+ instead.  When I log into google+ I can see all my previous albums and I'm greeted with "what's new with you" and a camera icon.  If I click on the camera icon it gives me a selection of a few photos (pages from various probates or divorces etc) which I can upload.   BUT I need to keep the photos within their "folder" structure.

I hope this makes sense ....  help please !

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Help uploading a folder of photos to google+ album
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 16 10:16 BST (UK) »

I don't use google+ but rather Google Drive.  I can upload, create folders and drag and drop each item into their own folders and so keep them all sorted.  I use it mainly for research and to keep track of documents I have found for others.  I can also share with others if I choose to.

google+ just seemed to complicated for me, not really tech savvy so Drive is just up my ally easy to get to grips with and to use.  ::) ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,

I use google+ a little but only for sharing news & photographs. When I go into google+ I see the camera icon. I click on it and then it shows me my photographs that I have taken in my case with my mobile phone if I select the image all it does is "publish my image" on  google+ so anyone following me can see the same image. The photo does not move folders the images are stay where they are.

In Google+ next to your icon top right, you will see an icon with 9 squares (like a keyboard) if you click on this you will be able to access the google drive, here you can put your files.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks 3SD and Sarah - I will give it a go  :)

I suspect I am getting too old for all these "enhancements".

cheers,
   Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 11:48 BST (UK) »

Me too, so I was quite chuffed with myself when I worked it out all by myself.  ;D ;D Didn't have to resort to asking the nerd.  :P

I don't know if you can with google+ but I can attach files to emails as well with Drive and my photos etc from my phone get uploaded automatically into my google photos file on Drive when the phone is on wi-fi and charging (you choose how and when to upload) and I can sort them from there into their respective folders. ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I would say use "drive" or "photo's". Both work on much the same principal and with the same views. If you link all your devices then they should automatically share. Saves a lot of time loading from one to the other.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 16 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you John - yes I see that google photos has unlimited free storage so I investigated that.

But I'm too thick.  I must be missing some very fundamental points.

I got to google drive (Thanks Sarah) but I couldn't find a way to put my folders there - dragging wouldn't work and sending didn't have an option.

I downloaded windows "Desktop Uploader" which sounded like what I wanted - it promised to upload my photos to google albums of photos.   But when I launched it it said it will upload 835 photos - however I only did 10 records yesterday about 350 photos (well a torrential storm was forecast and I have a heavy cold and ... yes excuses ...excuses...)  It's still chugging away complaining every so often that it can't upload a specific photo (I wonder why?).  However when I look at what it's done so far they are not in the specified albums and just a mass of photos.

This is all too hard ...

Offline ringarosy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 16 06:39 BST (UK) »
Ros, watching this tutorial may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpHlcr4Iui4
Grimes Patterson Keeley -- Warwickshire
Hollis Cooper Solomons Hubbard Moses Merrott -- Bethnal Green, Hackney
Dunlop Grimes -- NSW

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks a heap ringarosy  :)  :D

Apparently I need to use chrome to drag folders across  to googledrive :)  And yes I have already dragged one across.   :)

cheers,
   Ros