Author Topic: Dawson - 1939 register breakthrough!  (Read 4785 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson - 1939 register breakthrough!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 September 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
If you look Carol the death I posted was for Jeffrey one of the two boys whose birth came up with the Dawson/Facer combination.  Born and died 1940.

Anthony was the one who was on the 1939 register.

If you look girl guide you will see that you have just posted the 1940 Rugby death ref numer 1238 which IS the same one that I posted last night  ;D

I said nothing about the death of Jeffrey.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 September 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, I'm so sorry Carol you are correct.  Must have been having a senior moment there!  Must make sure I pay more attention to what has been posted in future.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 September 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
There isn't another Anthony, so it must be the same child. Well, I'll find out when the Certs arrive.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 September 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
Yes the William James and Lizzie Dulson on the 1911
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 September 16 15:06 BST (UK) »
William James and Lizzie E. Dulson did not marry until Dec.qtr.1911 so don't see how this pair could be William Harold Dawson's parents???

Since when WH married his age gives birthdate ca.1907, his death gives ca.1906-7 and the 1939 register (with Rose) gives 09/10/1909 I'm not sure you are really any further forward as there is no William Harold Dawson or James birth entry which would fit with the 09/10/1909 birthdate.

Going back to the beginning since your uncle was born 1947 (and the 'adopted out' brother who looks like him was born 1944) are you absolutely sure that the William Harold Dawson with Rose is the same William Harold Dawson who is the father of your uncle (and mother)?   He was still with Rose and having children until 1953??   I can't get my head round the fact that he had 2 (possibly 3) children with your grandmother when he was still with his wife and having children with her.  Is a William Harold Dawson named as father on your uncle and mothers birth certificates (presumably registered under your grandmothers surname as they weren't married)?

Also, IF William James and Lizzie (nee Dulson) are the right couple in Whitchurch it may be that WHD was fostered out to them as a child and they were 'adoptive' parents rather than biological.  Although married 1911 their first child doesn't appear to have been born until 1918 so possible they could have fostered before then.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 September 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
Yes I know it's hard to get your head around, but my grandmother was living with William and Rose and both My grandmother and Rose were pregnant at the same time twice! My grandfather had a bit of a reputation to say the least! My mum and uncle lived with William and Rose and saw their mother once a week. My grandmother was not the maternal type. Her own family did not know my mum and uncle existed until William died and Rose refused to continue to look after them. My grandfather seems to have told lots of lies, so I'm trying to piece together as many bits of info as possible. My grandmother was registered on the electoral roll as living at the same address as William and Rose for quite a few years. William & Roses eldest son is still alive, but refuses to talk about what went on. My grandmother told me to leave this alone as I would find out stuff she didn't want anyone to know. So, nothing surprises me at all. Plus I know it's the same William and Rose on the 1939 register as Rose's DoB ties up with that on her death certificate and her grandchildren know she lived in Rugby and that's where they were married. Seriously, Jeremy Kyle would have loved this!

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 September 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
Oh and both my mum and uncle are Dawson by birth and William H Dawson was named on both certificates.

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 September 16 16:38 BST (UK) »
Williams kids were told:
He was born in Newcastle upon Tyne
He was born in Wall, Northumberland
He was born in Ireland
He was a traveller
He ran away and changes his name from James to Dawson
He was in the army
He was in the navy
His parents were dead
His parents were alive

Facts I'm sure of:
He was a lorry driver and mechanic
He died in Coventry
He was married to Rose
He married Rose at Rugby registry office
He lived in Coventry
He had at least 10 children with at least 2 different women
He was not married to my grandmother

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Sounds like the family relationships were problematical to say the least!  I'm not surprised the currently living eldest son refuses to talk about it.  For a young child it must have been hurtful to find your father having a relationship and children with another woman who wasn't his wife.

You may have to be content with finding out what you can and leaving it at that.  Sometimes family history opens up a can of worms.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire