Author Topic: My great-great grandfather  (Read 1429 times)

Offline adnams74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great-great grandfather
« on: Sunday 04 September 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information on my great-grandfather, Edmund Mellor, who I know was a Private in the 1st Batallion Worcestershire Regiment in April 1918. After this he seems to drop of the radar and I was wondering if there are any records of him from the war.

Thanks Adam Stone

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: My great-great grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a Edmund Mellor
1st Worc R 24374-Pte,
14th Worc R 24374,
3rd Worc R 24374, on Ancestry in the medal and award rolls, could this be him?

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
If this is him then he was awarded all 3 medals, War, Victory and the 1915 Star, plus he seems to have been wounded as he is listed as being awarded a Silver Wound / War Badge.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more information to go on, do you know your Great Great Grandmothers name?

Frank.

Offline adnams74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more information to go on, do you know your Great Great Grandmothers name?

Frank.

Edmund's wife was Gertude Mellor. She died in April 1918 just after giving birth to my grandmother. It is suggested that he was from Darlington, but it is possible that he was from Staffordshire. My grandmother it seems was bought up by other members of the family and possibly never knew her father.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 September 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
............................... It is suggested that he was from Darlington, but it is possible that he was from Staffordshire..............................................

Now that's interesting, there is a Edmund Mellor born 1889 married to a Gertrude on the last census, he is shown as being born in Darlington but they are living in Oldbury Staffordshire in 1911.

Frank.

Offline adnams74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 September 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
............................... It is suggested that he was from Darlington, but it is possible that he was from Staffordshire..............................................

Now that's interesting, there is a Edmund Mellor born 1889 married to a Gertrude on the last census, he is shown as being born in Darlington but they are living in Oldbury Staffordshire in 1911.

Frank.

Yes I assume that is my great grandfather from all of my research but quite why his army records say he was was Darlington is a total mystery.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 September 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again, was / is your Grandmother named Irene, born about 1910 / 1911?

Frank.

Offline adnams74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 September 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again, was / is your Grandmother named Irene, born about 1910 / 1911?

Frank.

Irene was my grandmothers sister. My grandmother was called Blanche and she was born in 1918. They are of the same family.