Author Topic: Nugent/Dempsey marriage  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent/Dempsey marriage
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 16 18:05 BST (UK) »
My G grandfather had brothers named Patrick and James.  It could be possible they were recurring family names, but, of course, they are common names.  As are James and Mary.

I'm not sure where Mary Clarke or James Nugent were born exactly.  They both definitely lived in Rathcore, Co. Meath, prob. since at least 1826.  I can almost imagine someone putting down "Johnstown" though since it is so close.

It could definitely be possible that John Nugent, my GG grandfather, had other brothers.  i am not sure what happened to his brother Thomas or his uncle Thomas Clarke, only that he won the case.

I am not actually sure where John was born precisely either.  The first reference to James taking lease is 1826.  According to his reported age at death (not always correct), John would have been born in about 1823.  He was said to be the eldest son of James, in a newspaper announcement of the wedding.

If that was the case, it perhaps seems odd that he did not marry first, but I suppose it is still possible.  Sons sometimes married out of order.  It could also be that the families were more distantly related, or not related at all.

But I don't think the early parish records survive for Rathcore, although I haven't been able to find that out definitely.  it could be that they survive locally, within the parish.

What I would recommend you do, is try to find newspaper announcements for the weddings of James and Patrick.  One of these may possibly give some further clues, such as the order of birth,  whether their father was alive or not, where he was from.

The only other approach I can think of is DNA, if you have been tested.  But it may not necessarily be foolproof at that many generations, as sometimes it gets shuffled out.

Edit: John was actually living on the 1901 census.

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you know what happened to your great grandfathers brothers James and Patrick in terms of marriage.Could it be possible my great great grandfather Patrick and yours John are brothers?

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 September 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do, but I don't know if anything could be connected there.  Patrick married Agnes Harvey in 1898.  James married Agnes Bobbet in 1899.  You can see both certs on IrishGenealogy.  Thomas and Luke married Mitchell sisters.

I think it is not out of the question that John and Patrick were brothers, though an eight year difference in marriage for the eldest seems sort of large, it is by no means impossible.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 September 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
There is at least one Rathcore Nugent headstone on this site and others from the general area.
http://www.enfieldgraveyards.com/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 September 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Kildare Observer August 2nd 1902
A list of farm produce for auction on 4th August

At Johnstown Bridge for Mr Luke Nugent
9 Acres of Oats on Shank and 60 Cocks of Hay.

April 1902.
James Nugent Gorteen Mill Johnstown Bridge

Sept 1933 Morris Nugent, employee of Kathleen Hackett Thomastown Johnstown Bridge.

http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 September 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sinann,

I knew about that old, 1805 grave before, but I didn't know that it had a picture.  I don't know whether it is the same family or not, for one reason I don't know how long James may have lived in Rathcore before 1826, but the grave is actually located remarkably close to where John, my GG grandfather, grew up.  The cemetery is almost adjacent to the land they held lease to in Rathcore.

Furthermore, the grave faces a path, almost like it is a choice plot, picked by someone who lived close by.

One of those cemeteries also had a picture of my GG grandmother's grave, which I had not seen before.

Thanks, again.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thought I would mention that there is a Catholic Parish in Kildare which is known as Johnstown or Ballyna, and the register is fairly intact.

There were Nugents there in the the earlier years, but I haven't browsed it for what might be more relevant here.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile