Author Topic: Wording on In Memoriam notice  (Read 593 times)

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wording on In Memoriam notice
« on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I came across an in memoriam notice for my great uncle who committed suicide in 1916.

It reads as follows:
Waters. - In loving remembrance of Charles Alexander Waters, who died May 25th 1916.  A white man, whose memory lives. From sister Rose.

I was a little puzzled by the wording 'a white man'.  As far as I am aware he was white, his parents were so, unless he was not really his father's son, I can't think why this would be written.

Has anyone ever come across such wording before?  Charles' story always saddens me and it was lovely to think his eldest sister had not forgotten him but I am intrigued by that wording.

A little background:  Charles was cook on SS Toronto (troop ship), he waited till the ship had left Southampton and cut his throat with a razor.  He left a suicide note but it did not explain why, just stating he was mad and asking God to forgive him.

Many thanks
Fiona
Waters - Hull, Edinburgh(Leith), Glasgow
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln
Whitbread - Lincoln, Buckinghamshire
Hutchison - Edinburgh, Glasgow

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Wording on In Memoriam notice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
It may be a short version of a 20th Century British saying - 'Play the White Man ...' - meaning 'to be decent and trustworthy in one's actions'

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
From the OED
white man 3. slang (orig. U.S.). A man of honourable character.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting thing to know- that wording would have puzzled me too so we both learned something new.

One of my cousins twice removed committed suicide as well- he gassed himself in his house and was found dead by an unnamed aunt. It's only just struck me that he was a chemist so I wonder why he chose that method, he must have had access to some drugs that could have done the job. That said, I don't know if he was still employed at the time.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
In old western novels (think Zane Grey era) you can see statements such as - 'That was real white of him'. In other words that was a decent thing to do. Also interesting is that in those novels, the expression could be applied to any race, not just white men.

You wouldn't dare say it today  ;D

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.

I've never heard that saying but will check with my father as he will probably know it.

It's good to know that Charles sister thought him decent and trustworthy.

Many thanks
Fiona
Waters - Hull, Edinburgh(Leith), Glasgow
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln
Whitbread - Lincoln, Buckinghamshire
Hutchison - Edinburgh, Glasgow