Author Topic: Morris family New York 1870  (Read 1043 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morris family New York 1870
« on: Thursday 08 September 16 15:18 BST (UK) »
The Morris family emigrated from Wales to New York in 1850 and I have them on the 1850 & 1855 census.   I also have them on the 1860 census:

Household Members   
Name          Age
Charles Morris   39      England (should be Wales)  Boiler Maker
Martha Morris   38      Wales
Charles Morris   14      Wales
Lydia Morris   13      Wales
Thomas Morris   7        New York

New York Ward 13 District 1, New York, New York

and the 1865 census:

Household Members:   
Name          Age
Charles Morris   45    England (should be Wales)  Boiler Maker
Martha Morris   45    England  ( " ")
Lydia Morris   18    England  (" ")
Thomas Morris   12    New York
E?Ie Morris     4      New York
Martha Morris   2      New York

Brooklyn, Kings, New York, USA

and 1880 census:

Members   
Name         Age
Charles Morris   56     Wales   Boiler Maker
Martha Morris   56     Wales
Lydia Morris   28     Wales
Eva R. Morris   18     New York
Martha Morris   15     New York

New York City, New York, New York

But I cannot find the family on the 1870 census.  I have made all sorts of computations of names, ages and birth places but found nothing. I have all the census information along with deaths, marriages, etc. it is the 1870 that is eluding me.  Would welcome a rootschat search. 

Thanks

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Morris family New York 1870
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
I haven't yet found them in 1870, but in 1876...

1876 New York City, City Directory
Charles M. Morris boilermkr, h 376 E. 4th
(Same address as his address in 1880)

Update:  Also at that address in 1875

Another Update:  He doesn't appear as a boilermaker in the 1872 NYC Directory
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
Charles does not appear to be in the 1867-68 Trow's New York City Directory (as a boilermaker, nor living on E. 4th).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 September 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
No C or Charles Morris, boilermaker, in the 1870 Brooklyn, New York, City Directory.

Nor in the 1863, 1864, 1865, 1866 Brooklyn directories.   ???

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 September 16 20:34 BST (UK) »
I still haven't found them in 1870 nor 1875.  Is there any chance they could have returned to Wales for a visit?

Did they have any family in the states during the 1870s?

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 September 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, thanks for all the input.  No the family did not return to Wales, even for a visit.  There was family but that was in New York, Martha Morris's brother David Francis.  Have not found the Morris family with the Francis family on any census.

The Thomas Morris on the 1860 census was Thomas Francis Morris, bank note designer and Chief Designer of the Engraving Division of the American Bank Note Company between 1893 & 1897.

The main reason for finding the 1870 census is to see the extent of the family at that time.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 September 16 04:27 BST (UK) »
1874 New York City Directory
Charles M. Morris, machinist, h 291 Third

Could this be your Charles?

Update:  Maybe not.
1872 NYC Directory
Charles Morris, Printer, 291 Third

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 September 16 10:38 BST (UK) »
I know that in 1869 the family were living in Greenpoint Brooklyn.  I have a copy of a letter of recommendation from the pastor of the Baptist Church in Greenpoint in 1868, and other letters written from other persons also in Greenpoint in 1868 & 1869.  The family were still living in Greenpoint in 1880. 

I have the biography of Thomas Francis Morris (1852-1898) written by one of his sons.  On this biography there is no mention of son Charles (or Thomas) born in Wales in 1848. 

Now this child (named as Thomas) is on the ship Esmerelda when the family arrived on the 1st July 1850, he is on the 1850 census (named as Thomas).  He is not on the 1855 census but is on the 1860 census (named as Charles). 

Because this son is not mentioned on the biography I assume he either died young, between the 1860 & 1865 census or the family were embarrassed by him?  I know the writer of the biography was in touch with his fathers sisters into the 1920's but they obviously did not mention him.

I was looking to the 1870 census to see if Charles/Thomas was mentioned.

I have searched and found no mention of Charles/Thomas Morris born 1848 Wales after 1860.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 September 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi RayDen:

Thank you for the explanations and reasons you've given.  I'm just on my way to work, so I'll make this brief (if that's possible for me to do).   ;D

Like you, I've tried every combination of names, birth years, places of birth, etc.  I don't know if they can ever be found (perhaps their census page cannot be read due to a faint copy, bad writing, etc.) but I've not yet given up.  Once I try to find someone, I don't like to give up.   ;)  I've even tried looking for "older" neighbours of the Morris' from the 1860 census, to see if they can be found in 1870, and hoping that the Morris' were still living near them.  I've not yet tried looking for neighbours from the 1880 census to see if they can be found in 1870, with the Morris' living near them.

I'll try again tonight.  Perhaps they can be found somewhere.

Kind regards, Lisa