Author Topic: George Carlisle - Isle of Thanet Gazette 1963  (Read 4436 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlisle - Isle of Thanet Gazette 1963
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 September 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
It is a lot of money.

This is what you get

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/products-2.pdf

but it may have some answers especially the circumstances leading to his admission.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you - It would hopefully answer some questions for us that is for sure... We just need to suck up the cost!!!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hold on to your hat!   Either I may have found a potential mother for Paul or it's just one of those horrible coincidences.

Flat 3, 10 Cranworth Gardens was, from 1907 to at least 1919, owned by a Clara Lacey.   In 1923 it says that a Clara Leslie Lacey now owned Flat 3 but No. 8 (not 10).  As already explained, unless they owned the property women didn't show until late 1920's.   Haven't been able to figure out who said Clara Lacey is.

1901 - Southwark, St. George the Martyr, London

Caroline Lacey   41     Wid.  Housekeeper         b. Plaistow, Essex
Ethel R. Lacey   18     Music Hall Singer            b. London, Strand
Lilian E. Lacey   16     Professional Dancer             ditto
Olive J. Lacey    14                                              ditto

Earlier records show Caroline was married to a Robert W. Lacey:

Robert William Lacey married Caroline Hannah Jacobs Mar.qtr.1882 Strand

In 1891 he said to be born London, and she at West Ham, Essex.

Essex is about the only consistent thing as by next census she states born Stratford, Essex!   With her are 2 youngest daughters shown as 'Theatrical Profession' BUT they are living at Flat 3, 10 Cranworth Gardens.   So, electoral rolls show us a Clara Lacey owned the property but a widowed Caroline Lacey lived there with her daughters.

So, a possible connection to George Horace Carlisle due to the profession of the daughters.

Decided to investigate these 3 daughters - luckily (or not) started with the youngest first!   Olive Jessie Lacey birth reg'd Sept.1886 Strand.   Couldn't find a marriage so looked for a death and found:

Olive J. Lacey bc.1890 death reg'd June quarter 1924 Lambeth which is exactly where Paul was born and registered!   

Yes, her age at death is 3/4 years out but last census shows her as 22 (should have been 24) and mother Caroline got younger on every census (if you get my drift).

So, if Olive Jessie Lacey was still living at that address in 1924 (which seems pretty likely) is the fact that her death is registered at exactly the same time/district that Paul was born just a horrible coincidence or was it in fact she who had given birth to him?

I guess only her death certificate can confirm her address at the time and whether her death was due to childbirth.

What do you think?

Annette       
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Wow!! Again!!! What an amazing find... It does seem like a huge coincidence... I am going to order her death certificate and see what it says.... It's far too much of a coincidence to not be worth a shot! I have goose bumps just reading it... To think we could find who Paul's real mother was would be amazing! I can't thank you enough for all you are doing!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed then!!   Hopefully it will be £9.25 well spent (as opposed to the large fee for Barnardo records).

Having found that Flat 3 10 Cranworth Gardens was owned by a Clara Lacey, occupied by a Caroline Lacey and her daughters who were in the theatrical profession and the youngest daughter dying in the same area/time that Paul Carlisle was born seems just too much of a coincidence somehow BUT.......who knows?

If it does pan out, I'm just imagining George when he registered Paul's birth - are you the father (yes, and gives his details), wife's name - and he gives the name of his wife (or former wife, perhaps he didn't even know she'd divorced him back in Michigan).   What a crafty devil he was!

Hoping for some positive information in due course and that it's not a case of 'clutching at straws'.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
He really was a very crafty man and obviously a real lover of the ladies!!! My husband does look a bit like him... I'm hoping that's where the resemblance ends!!! I will be sure to let you know what the certificate says when it arrives! Thank you again!

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 September 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
Here's another photo

http://tinyurl.com/jsrt2ke

from his passport application of 1916.  It also gives his exact place of birth.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 September 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks bearcat - that's a photo we hadn't seen before! Its amazing what's available if you know where to look. Sorry I didn't thank you before now, I have not been at my computer for a few days and have now only had chance to look properly!

Offline Robert Bain

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 25 February 19 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe George Horace Carlisle born in Minnesota, USA 1883 and as far as I know died in 1963 was my grandfather. He was father of my mother Dorothy Stella Georgette Carlisle born on the SS Kroonland 1916 (on the high seas - New York) and died in Exeter in 1998 and husband of my grandmother Anne Elsie Haymann (actress aka Olive Tempest) born in Kensington, London 1884 and died in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1973. I never met him but heard he was an accomplished musician and played in a band. My email address is: bobbain01@hotmail.com.