Author Topic: George Carlisle - Isle of Thanet Gazette 1963  (Read 4434 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Carlisle - Isle of Thanet Gazette 1963
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 September 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
There is a George H CARLISLE (with a Celia) listed on the electoral registers living at Westbourne Gardens, Paddington  between 1959 and 1961.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 September 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bearcat - I am now searching for other information on a Celia Carlisle - but it would seem she doesn't exist anywhere other than in the electoral roll where you found her! I did find her in 1954 with George in Paddington again but other than that I can find no trace of her. It would be a massive coincidence though if she is not the C.Carlisle listed as Georges widow on his death certificate!

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 September 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
It's going to be difficult if she wasn't his 'wife'.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 September 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't heard him play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTIUga0--2c
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 September 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
I should have added that on the 1918 Consular record George states his wife and son were living in Montreal, Canada.

However, have now found Albertina on 1920, 1930 and 1940 census - living in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan.

1920 - Albertina Carlisle   33   shown as Married -   Keeper of Rooming House

1920 - Horace Carlisle is at St. Francis House for Orphan Boys (also in Detroit).

Michigan Divorces - Albertina Carlisle divorced George Carlisle - decree was granted 7/4/1920 on the grounds of 'Non-support, desertion'. 

1930 - Albertina now appears as Albertina Johnson 42, the wife of Dr. William Johnson 36 who is a Physician - with them is George H. Johnson 19, Step-son, born London.

1940 - Still with husband William Johnson 45, Private Practitioner except she has lost a few years off her age along the way as she is now 47.   

All the census state she was born at St. Croix, Virgin Islands.

So, as you mentioned earlier, it seems highly unlikely that she was the mother of Paul born 1924 in Lambeth, London (unless she popped over for a longish visit for old times sake!!!).   No idea when she married William Johnson or where/when she died, nor what became of George Horace Carlisle junior (shown as Johnson in 1930).

George Horace Carlisle lived at 45 Westbourne Gardens from 1951 to 1961 (per electoral roll).   In 1951 the person with him is a Mary Carlisle - it then jumps 2 years to 1954 when it is a Celia with him right through to 1961.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 September 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
Michigan Divorces - Albertina Carlisle divorced George Carlisle - decree was granted 7/4/1920 on the grounds of 'Non-support, desertion'. 

Annette

Ah - then this is relevant after all ( I was still thinking about it ):

Albertina Carlisle
divorced
b 1897 ( !! )
father Martin Taylor
mother Alice Merten
previous husband George Carlisle
married 22 Jun 1920 Lucas, Ohio
William Harold Johnson b 1891
father Robert Johnson
mother Annie Street
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 September 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
WOW! Thank you everyone for all your help...I had to stop yesterday and have only just come back to this and I cant believe how much information and links you have all given me! Thank you so so much. We were almost certain Albertina was not Pauls mother and I think this latest information has just about confirmed this! Now I have so much more I can add to help to fill in some of the gaps - now to find C.Carlisle!!! I'm not sure that is ever going to happen!! Thank you all again- we are so grateful!

Offline Milla697

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 September 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
I've also realised that I have on Pauls birth certificate that he lived at Flat 3, 10 Cranworth Gardens, North Brixton when he was born - does anyone have any access to the electoral roll for this address in 1924 - might give us a clue as to who Paul's real mother may have been? Thanks again.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 September 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
it wasn't until 1928 that all women over the age of 21 years could vote.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE