Author Topic: BUILDING DECORATED WITH FLAGS Town Hall? UK LOCATED! Dunbar  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BUILDING DECORATED WITH FLAGS Town Hall? UK LOCATED! Dunbar
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 September 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
I have found out a little about this house if anybody is interested.. As ecksdochter has already said, this is Cromwell House which was by the Old Harbour in Dunbar, the  home of George Grahame. The harbour is also called Cromwell harbour as Oliver Cromwell supplied money for it to be built or enlarged as he needed it to handle goods for his army.
In Cromwwell house there was a staircase  with a handrail which could be dated to c1770 at the latest. Outside there were twin iron lamp posts in front which were marked Dunbar foundry 1836.
There are a few photos on the sites already  linked showing buildings with draped flags to celebrate the coronation of Edward V11 in 1902, or some for George V silver jubilee in 1935.
Cromwell house was destroyed by fire in 1985 and was demolished in 1987.
My niece lives just a couple of streets away from this in Dunbar and I never knew any of this before today.     
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 September 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
I have found out a little about this house if anybody is interested.. As ecksdochter has already said, this is Cromwell House which was by the Old Harbour in Dunbar, the  home of George Grahame. The harbour is also called Cromwell harbour as Oliver Cromwell supplied money for it to be built or enlarged as he needed it to handle goods for his army.
In Cromwwell house there was a staircase  with a handrail which could be dated to c1770 at the latest. Outside there were twin iron lamp posts in front which were marked Dunbar foundry 1836.
There are a few photos on the sites already  linked showing buildings with draped flags to celebrate the coronation of Edward V11 in 1902, or some for George V silver jubilee in 1935.
Cromwell house was destroyed by fire in 1985 and was demolished in 1987.
My niece lives just a couple of streets away from this in Dunbar and I never knew any of this before today.     

Hi Trishanne, YES! I was interested. After the photo was located I did a quick internet search but didn't find anything as much as you. Thank you for enlightening me/us. Such a terrible shame this piece of history was destroyed after all those years. Just goes to show what can come of an old photo which has remained unlocated after such a long time can release so much (especially to those nearby who never knew). Great end to a listing!
TABB of Saltash

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 September 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating history for the building - so glad someone was able to find it.

I know someone who lives in Dunbar, right near the old harbour, but my visits have taken place after the building in the picture was destroyed.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 September 16 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell, my niece lives between Colvin Street and Larne street.. She wasn't at that address last time we visited, which was many years ago I'm afraid.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 September 16 11:47 BST (UK) »
Very interesting information thank you Trishanne - so so sad it was destroyed so recently.  :'(